Near overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
its definitely time for me to put in new rheostat for my insert blower. The fan speed went very low on me and I also made error of loading dry wood on deep coal bed. Lessons learned, no glowing but I could see that IR was in high 700’s in vent. I have a Jotul Rockland. It’s connected to about 15 feet of insulated heavy wall ss liner.
I noticed a faint “hot smell” with door closed. I know at one point a while back, stove had gotten hotter than this, so I don’t think this is a “new high temp” that stove reached. No noticeable smoke, smoke/CO alarms did not go off- just a mild hot smell when stove was at high temp this morning. It seemed to get better once stove got back down to normal cruising temp. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe drier wood, later in the year or wood has gotten drier. Just one thought. May be something elsr.

My Rockland always burned pretty hot with good wood. With black locust 700's on the stovetop was normal cruising temp.