Need advice about transitioning to M-Tronic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeronimo

Oct 26, 2015
WA
Hi all, brand new member here looking to learn from your experiences. For years I've been a major cheapskate, dealing exclusively in old scum-of-the-craigslist chainsaws. Most recently a beat up $25 Homelite XL-12... it has good days and it has bad days. I've been laughed out of many a saw shop looking for make-do parts for that thing.

Well, the part of me that wants to actually get firewood cut finally won out over the part of me that likes to tinker with barely-working old machines: I just got a new MS 362 with full wrap and M-Tronic controller (don't worry - I can still always break out the Homelite when I'm feeling like a need a dose of futility). I've used some decent Stihl saws for work (MS 290 farm boss and an 044 Magnum), and I know my junky vintage saws inside and out... but I have no idea what to expect from this newfangled M-Tronic thing.

Does anyone have any advice about transitioning to a computer controlled carb? Do I need to do anything differently? Should I be more careful breaking it in? Am I going to miss some problem because the saw is automatically compensating and hiding symptoms? Or is it all just easy, worry-free fun?

Here's a pic of the saw in question. I'm enjoying spending some quality time inside with it while it's still clean and sparkly.

1025152109.jpg

Hi all, brand new member here looking to learn from your experiences. For years I've been a major cheapskate, dealing exclusively in old scum-of-the-craigslist chainsaws. Most recently a beat up $25 Homelite XL-12... it has good days and it has bad days. I've been laughed out of many a saw shop looking for make-do parts for that thing.

Well, the part of me that wants to actually get firewood cut finally won out over the part of me that likes to tinker with barely-working old machines: I just got a new MS 362 with full wrap and M-Tronic controller (don't worry - I can still always break out the Homelite when I'm feeling like a need a dose of futility). I've used some decent Stihl saws for work (MS 290 farm boss and an 044 Magnum), and I know my junky vintage saws inside and out... but I have no idea what to expect from this newfangled M-Tronic thing.

Does anyone have any advice about transitioning to a computer controlled carb? Do I need to do anything differently? Should I be more careful breaking it in? Am I going to miss some problem because the saw is automatically compensating and hiding symptoms? Or is it all just easy, worry-free fun?

Here's a pic of the saw in question. I'm enjoying spending some quality time inside with it while it's still clean and sparkly.

View attachment 165223
I've had the MS362 for going on three years now. I only use pure non-ethanol fuel. It took about 10 tanks to break in. Been a great reliable saw.

Basically, these are super reliable. A couple of hints. First, you have to relearn the 3-position start switch instead of the standard 4-position. The most important is the start vs. run position for a cold vs. warm/hot restart. The manual says always start in the start position (choked) hot or cold. This works for some people, but, it doesn't always. My saw prefers to be started in the run position (no choke) when hot/warm. Also, a very good saw mechanic friend told me to always remember that it's still 99% a good old 2 -stroke. So, run it as such, and if you ever run into a problem, don't immediately jump to the conclusion that the problem is the ignition. Best of luck with your new saw. Your efficiency will definitely improve from your prior saws.

What's that stove? Is it as old as it looks?

I have 2 saws that are m tronic. I have never had a problem with them and they always start 2nd or 3rd pull. i bet my 441 has over 30 cord through it and it runs like new. Like Tin Cup says....GRIP IT AND RIP IT !!

Status
Not open for further replies.