Need Advice & guidance please! Jotul 602n rear 45° twin wall flue installation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jamie J

Oct 31, 2021
London, Uk
Hi there,

I'd massively appreciate any advice and guidance on an install I'm about to attempt of a jotul 602n into a small cabin (roughly 150 square foot) for occasional weekend use.

For a few reasons I'm keen to not go straight up and through the roof so are hoping to do something like this diagram below:

1635975482510.png

I already have some twin wall 125mm 'shieldmaster' mat black flue which we bought for a project which didn't happen so hoping to use that.

As our space is so limited I was hoping to keep it as close to the wall behind it as possible. I was going to make a 5mm mild steel heat shield with 50mm front and back and then two layers of supalux 9mm masterboard fixed directly on the vertical studs instead of the ply.

This would all extend at least 1' either side of the stove kind of like my mock up below;

1635975638466.png

As space is tight I was hoping to come out of the rear flue collar straight onto 45° twin wall (unless this is a terrible idea ie. not coming onto vitreous/adapter first which to me seems dangerous being so close to the wall). I've checked the the internal twin wall fits pretty snuggly onto the collar which I could also high temp silicon seal too?

then continue at 45° through the roughly 6' thick wall (inc external cladding)... this section I was planning to leave a 60mm gap all around the twin wall which I was thinking to fill with 50mm A1 rockwool.

then outside and into a 135° tee and up past the roofline to a anti wind cowl.

Any advice or guidance would be massively appreciated.

You will not meet code going thru the wall at that angle.
There is no wall thimble made that allows for that configuration.
You need to go straight out the back with connector pipe to Class A
through the thimble to a tee & then vertical to a point above the roof
that meets the 10-2-3 rule.

Reactions: Jamie J
I have seen angled thimbles.

For occasional weekend use that stove is really over sized for the space. Follow the manual for clearances. I get the not wanting vertical vent. 150 sq ft. I’d be using an electric space heater. Off grid I’d be looking at propane.

Do you already have the stove. If not there are better options.

"Occasional weekend use of a 150 sqft cabin". No way I would install that stove. Overkill. Get a vented LP wall heater. Please don't put a child in the crib shown if you do install a wood stove as indicated. My opinion.

You will not meet code going thru the wall at that angle.
There is no wall thimble made that allows for that configuration.
You need to go straight out the back with connector pipe to Class A
through the thimble to a tee & then vertical to a point above the roof
that meets the 10-2-3 rule.
Thanks very much for your reply. I'm doing in the UK and it doesn't need to meet code/regs here but just wanted it to be as safe as possible. I was planning to use a version of a thimble like this lined with A1 rockwool. https://www.glowing-embers.co.uk/Ch...emodel=&adid=462518033691&keyword=&productid={productid}&campaigntype=&adposition=

I have seen angled thimbles.

For occasional weekend use that stove is really over sized for the space. Follow the manual for clearances. I get the not wanting vertical vent. 150 sq ft. I’d be using an electric space heater. Off grid I’d be looking at propane.

Do you already have the stove. If not there are better options.

Thanks for your advice and the link. Here in the UK there's versions of angled thimble and I thought better going out at 45° rather than horizontally through the wall??? Do you know if going straight from the jotul collar into twin wall would be ok. Fit is snug and was thinking to seal with fibreglass rope or high temp silicon also. Unfortunately I've already got that stove and vented propane heaters don't seem so common here and we don't have electrics there. Any suggestions on more appropriate stoves would be great for the future. thought the jotul could be good as in theory might burn longer overnight????

"Occasional weekend use of a 150 sqft cabin". No way I would install that stove. Overkill. Get a vented LP wall heater. Please don't put a child in the crib shown if you do install a wood stove as indicated. My opinion.
Thanks very much for your advise. Unfortunately I already own that stove and LPG wall heaters seem to be quite rare here in the UK. Plus we currently don't have electrics. Don't worry... definitely won't be having the kids sleeping anywhere near. Crib was just there as I was moving stuff around during building work. thanks again