need advice on adequate support for hearth install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UPswede

Jan 9, 2014
Michigan
I am preparing for a new stove install on the far end wall in the main floor LR of my ranch style home and have questions about building a flush (or nearly flush) 48" W x 52" deep porcelain tile hearth. The ember-protection stove has the pedestal option and all clearance to combustibles and floor protection dimensions will be exceeded.

My concern is if I will have adequate support under the 1/4" tiles to prevent flexing and cracking.

Will this work? I have 3/4" T&G plywood on 2x10 joists spaced 16" apart (metal cross-bridged). The joist span is about 14 ft. On top of the plywood I was thinking thinset / 1/4" hardiebacker / thinset / and then 1/4" porcelain tiles.

Thought I would give the floor some additional support by building two stud walls extending from the concrete basement floor up to the bottom of the 2x10 joists (each 2x4 stud/support wall would extend out from the foundation end wall about 34 inches). The two short stud/floor support walls in the basement would reinforce 3 joists midspan and be under the stove (stub walls about 30 in. apart). By putting in two walls I can incorporate some shelving between the walls for storage purposes in the basement. Thought I could install 2x10 blocking between the joists if needed to provide additional stiffening.

Comments and ideas on how to do this easier and/or better are appreciated.

With 2x10 joists 16 inch OC spanning 14 feet you are probably up to spec on subfloor support, even for a heavy wood stove installation. But, you are like me, better safe than sorry, I would go ahead and build the little wall in the basement to provide additional support.
However 3/4 inch of plywood is inadequate for a tile intall, you need to add 1/2 inch sheet of plywood to that to get up to spec. You need to put construction adhesive between the 2 sheets of plywood, and screw the top sheet of plywood into the joists with 3 1/2 inch decking screws.

Thanks for your reply. I was hopeful that the fact that it is tongue and groove plywood might be sufficient with the additional floor support. Would that make any difference? (T&G)

He is correct. You want to avoid flexing. There is no need to put thinset down between the plywood and the backer board. Note that 1/2" Durock NexGen will provide greater insulation protection and more stiffness.

Status
Not open for further replies.