Need advice on attaching stove pipe to clay flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlouki01

Dec 7, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a mid 80's house with a nicely constructs chimney. Previous owner removed stove, covered pipe coming off chimney.
Chimney is clay lined and in great shape. Has a 8" OD pipe coming off it. Problem is it has an inside diam. of 6 + inches?

Installing a king stove with a 6" pipe.

Need to adapt somehow to this clay flue pipe. I can use a 6x8 adapter fits over the clay pipe perfectly with a little air gap around the sides. Can you tape these up with something?

The connector pipe from the stove goes inside of the pipe. The gap around the connector pipe gets sealed with stove cement.

But first, have the flue cleaned and checked by a professional sweep and ask the sweep about this connection. I am assuming the previous owner did things correctly, but without an eye on the actual installation, it's just advice.

The actual inside diameter is 6.5". The 6x8 fits very snug around the pipe. Could I just seal it up with some stove cement? Seems like that would work pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG00776.jpg
    IMG00776.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG00777.jpg
    IMG00777.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 870
You're supposed to slide the 6 inch pipe inside that clay thimble, BOTH of which should be flush with the inner wall of the vertical flue pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.