Need advice on felling the tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I'm fairly experienced, but this tree got me thinking. It's an Oak. It's alive and looks healthy but got damaged by something growing. It's split on one side and has an emptiness that goes inside the tree for 2 feet above the split. The emptiness is not big, starts like 4 inches and then gets smaller.
See pics.
Any advice on how to approach this?

F1D88CB4-4E0E-4329-A38E-ED04A6F57001.jpeg 9ADCCB8A-243A-4DEF-AE3E-1271256D33F7.jpeg F90570C5-AAA0-4789-991A-07D3E243F879.jpeg 29BECD1E-4165-4A29-A6FC-B22A7350699A.jpeg 7820B147-A52B-45DC-889A-9265D0DCEB57.jpeg B0137540-8E6C-43B6-9C4B-4CBC6D5B0A62.jpeg

That’s what we call a cats face. If there’s nothing in danger, best approach is to take the undercut out of the cats face being careful not to dawg in while you’re doing it just in case it decides to fold over. Not too deep and hopefully it leans a bit that way

Reactions: Ashful
That’s what we call a cats face. If there’s nothing in danger, best approach is to take the undercut out of the cats face being careful not to dawg in while you’re doing it just in case it decides to fold over. Not too deep and hopefully it leans a bit that way
Unfortunately, it has to go other way
I'll try to cut above the face as much as I can and use a winch to detect the tree

Well, opposite the cats face for the undercut is next best. Obviously have you and your motor on the backside of the lean. Maybe do a vertical bore to check for soundness where your meat is that you want for holding wood. There’s a couple ways you can cut those that the legs of the cats face can pinch your bar if you’re not able to undercut in the way I’ve mentioned but it can still be done and at any time it can be different. I’ve seen them fold over on the undercut and I’ve seen them act like nothings wrong

Reactions: Dmitry
I'm not extremely experienced, but I've had good luck with something like this. Allows you to get out of any dangerous areas. as the tree falls you can pull on the rope to keep it going in the directions you want. Amazon product ASIN B01M2Z4EVR
Yeah, got one of those. Best thing ever

I picked up an arborist slingshot last fall Amazon product ASIN B01A8Z4GB0 to fell a line of trees that are leaning into a road. It took me a bit of learning, but it is a nice way of doing slow motion tree felling. Getting a line way up high in a tree allows me to really control what direction its going to go. That in combination with power puller and on occasion a snatch block allows me to make controlled solo cuts and get trees to fall where I want. I rig up the line and snug it up a bit, cut my face cut and then take up tension on the line and then do my back cut. As the notch opens up I can apply more tension if needed.

I picked up an arborist slingshot last fall Amazon product ASIN B01A8Z4GB0 to fell a line of trees that are leaning into a road. It took me a bit of learning, but it is a nice way of doing slow motion tree felling. Getting a line way up high in a tree allows me to really control what direction its going to go. That in combination with power puller and on occasion a snatch block allows me to make controlled solo cuts and get trees to fall where I want. I rig up the line and snug it up a bit, cut my face cut and then take up tension on the line and then do my back cut. As the notch opens up I can apply more tension if needed.
Yeap , that’s what I do. I got the trow bag . Sometimes the problem is that there are no branches close to reaching the bag. Using the ladder with stabilizers.

Here is update. Tree behaved like normal tree, but I am glad I cut it as high as I could. The power rope pull was not enough to overcome the lean easily. Had to use a metal wedge and hammer it teal hard. I'm glad it was enough healthy wood to do that.

E1C1F833-154E-486B-8B36-4B18F8AF24DC.jpeg 9EBE580F-D672-470F-9124-06BDFC3E7D5A.jpeg 3378F7FA-3754-4D8F-B25B-36B2E099BEFB.jpeg

Reactions: Nealm66
Very little hingewood left... ?

Reactions: weee123