Need advice on removing gas insert for woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubyjliamf

Oct 6, 2008
Easton, MD
Hi All-

New to the forums, but what a great resource! I have a NG gas insert in a large living space with cathedral ceilings. It has a wood mantel surround and vents directly out the back of the house. We have no chimney. From the fireplace there is a 12" slate hearth that extends out. I do not the like using the fireplace because of the blower noise and lack of efficiency if it. I would like to replace it with a woodstove.

Has anyone done this project and can give me advice on removing the gas insert (it's large and seems to be built into/behind the mantle.) and installing a stove pipe that either goes up the outside of the house or up to the top of the ceiling (30' or so) and out the roof. We were also thinking of just leaving the gas insert in place for re-sale aesthetics and installing a wood stove in another corner of the living room- but there is a window on one side of the corner that would work best. Not sure what the clearance would require from the stove to a window (with combustible trim)

Any advice you could give me would be much appreciated. I have learned a lot just from reading the forums. Thanks!

-Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.