Need advice on replacing my gas fireplace with Zero Clearance Wood Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvpski

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
NE Ohio
I have a gas fire place that I want to put in a wood burning zero clearance fireplace. I have attached the a picture of the enclosure built around it right now. I realize I will need to retrofit it a bit but I wanted to get some advice on what maybe the best way to do it.

The front mantle part extends from the main section about 10 inches and is about 55 inches tall. The main section in the back goes up 96 inches. From there it is a clear shot 12 feet to the ceiling. The current gas fireplace opening total size is 35" by 35" and I think goes back about 26 inches. I have much more space to go back further.

It is vented to the exterior wall and wondering if I can use that open in the exterior wall to provide fresh air from the outside. I have looked at Lennox, Fireplace Extrordinaire and Magnum. The Magnum seems to be the most efficient. However, given my set-up if any can recommend a good ZC woodburning fireplace I would appreciate it.

At any rate any suggestions on the best way to retrofit my current set-up with for a ZC fireplace? I have about 30 acres of available hardwood and it is a shame not to have sometime of woodburner in the house. A wood furnance add-on is not an option nor a outdoor one either.

Attachments

• Need advice on replacing my gas fireplace with Zero Clearance Wood Fireplace
    Current fireplace.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.