Need advice please. Englander 30nc Vs. PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rochesterick

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
Rochester WA
NOOb here. Looking to replace a VC Encore. Tired of replacing parts and refueling every two hours. Question is: What stove provides longest clean burn times , without running you out of the house? Winters here are somewhat mild in the 30's to 40's, with occasional cold snaps in the teens. Would like a stove that I can enjoy long overnight burns without being cooked alive. I currently have 28 feet of 6" pipe, with two 45 degree offsets , then straight up two stories. Newer house with good insulation,3000 sqaure foot ,stove is not ideally situated ,now being on the lower floor off to the side in the FR. My main goal is steady temps and long burn times.
I have been lurking on this site for sometime time , so I thought it was time to throw my hat in the ring and thank you all for such great information. I truly value your opinions and appreciate your time.

cmonSTART said:
I think I just insulted a member of BB's family.

Don't get me wrong, the 30NC is a great stove.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't see quality differences between them. Little thicker steel in the PE, stainless baffle, replaceable brick rails etc. Not sure but I think it is standard with side convection shields. Good wood stove. Worth the money.

Kind of the way I'm leaning. I just hate paying for Dom, when Natural Light will get you there just as well.

Isnt the Englander more of a radiant stove while the PE more convective?

rochesterick said:
Kind of the way I'm leaning. I just hate paying for Dom, when Natural Light will get you there just as well.

Now you have mentioned my favorite beer as well. Time for the 30-NC filled with Natty Light pic again.

Need advice please. Englander 30nc Vs. PE Summit

Reactions: Ashful
As I type, I am running both fire boxes.

I've had the PE for 3 years now, I know the stove, and I love it. The only reason I added another stove is because you cannot effectively, cheaply, and logically move heat downward.

The Timber Ridge is in since Wednesday, and the Dixette is away, and it's going down to 25 °F here tonight, so this Momma Grizzly gets to play ;-) I have it ticking, alot :)

Totally different fireboxes in layout & air flow. Different wood layout for fires.

Quick heat from the TR, alittle bit longer with the PE, to get them up & running. I'm going to do an over night in both, so I can report back tomorrow PM.

The house is getting quite warm :coolsmile:

The Dixette is gonna be lovin this.

I'm gonna be loving it. The TR is gonna take most of the load... right through the doorways and up the stairs !!!

The Dixette is in VA, she'll be back Sunday PM. You betcha that TR is gonna be singing when she gets home !!

Thanx for your input. Time to crack open a natty and sit back and watch my encore glow.(the flue collar-that is) Cheers :-/

There is a large and happy following for the great value provided by Englander stoves. The PE Summit and Alderlea T6 have more features like BB mentioned and do a great job burning NW softwood. If you need a PE dealer I can vouch for Tom at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/fswood.htm. The folks that run Sutter Home in Seattle are pretty good too.

I see we're from the same neck of the woods BeGreen. I think part of my problem is trying to wring out the BTU's from fir and alder. I have a couple of big maples and cedars that will be coming down soon--food for my next stove in a year or two.

rochesterick said:
I see we're from the same neck of the woods BeGreen. I think part of my problem is trying to wring out the BTU's from fir and alder. I have a couple of big maples and cedars that will be coming down soon--food for my next stove in a year or two.

Stick with BG. He can tell ya what to burn, what to burn it in and whatever you need to know about heating the joint in that neck of the woods.

Fir and alder are what we're burning this year. Burning softwood in the big PE you can expect decent 6-10 hrs between fires once you get the stove down pat. The trick is how you manage the fire. I'm still learning with the Alderlea, but with the help of good advice here I am getting continually improving results. This season I've been lucky to get a decent stash of locust, cherry and some holly for the really cold weather. Burning hardwood regularly is a totally different burning experience, particularly for coals that extend the burn time for hours. Madrona is also a really nice long burning wood.

For comfort, the Summit is much more convective than the Encore which will help soften the blast of heat nearby. A well placed fan or two to move the cold air towards the heat in the stove room can make a nice difference in overall comfort.

Thanx BG. Gonna have to get me a load of madrona ,spendy as it is. My situation requires long burn times, as I'm at work for 13 hours at a time. Would be great if I could come home from work to a nice pile of coals. Maybe I'll need to spring for the BBK and a 8" pipe. BTW, anyone around here burn 24/7?

BeGreen said:
...some holly for the really cold weather.

Holly! I have at least a thousand of those pain in the ass trees on this place. Most only get to two inches thick. I should start burning the damned things? I hate the things. They aren't good for anything but the leaves ripping skin off me when I am cutting wood.

Yeah, holly does a great job of self-propagating with the help of the birds. It is a pita to remove, but it's actually very nice wood. Burns hot and long, though thicker logs can be slow to season. No fun splitting by hand either.

rochesterick said:
Thanx BG. Gonna have to get me a load of madrona ,spendy as it is. My situation requires long burn times, as I'm at work for 13 hours at a time. Would be great if I could come home from work to a nice pile of coals. Maybe I'll need to spring for the BBK and a 8" pipe. BTW, anyone around here burn 24/7?

Many folks here burn 24/7, some from October to March.

It would be worth checking the BK King for your needs. Shipping here is the least expensive unless you live in Walla Walla. The BK has big capacity and the ability to burn long and slow. Good combination for our climate and softwood burning.

PE is a little cleaner looking, and has a way nicer baffle system... either one should do well for you... as you can see by my handle, I'm a little biased towrds the PE and I think the durabiltiy of the firebox components and the nicer finished look of the PE should tilt you in tht direction... If $ are a concern, however, the NC30 will do fine, just plan on replacing the baffle once in a while....

Status
Not open for further replies.