Need advice replacing deck planks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Our deck is approximately 25 years old. Original decking (and structure) is all pressure treated lumber. The decking needs to be replaced.

Here's the challenge. The deck is approximately 30' x 12', with one part (10'x10') covered by a screened enclosure. I believe that this enclosure was installed after the deck was built. The lower part of the enclosure is 2x4 wall covered in shingles, the upper is screened, with vertical supports holding up the roof structure. This is all attached to the house...

The decking in the screened area is okay and does not have to be replaced.

So here's my question. I suspect that the 2x4 wall is nailed to the decking (and the joist directly underneath). If I try to remove the decking under the wall I'd have to cut all those nails (or screws), and I have no way to reattach without opening up the wall.

The obvious alternative is to cut the decking at the base of the wall and sister a new joist to support the end of the new decking.

If I use this approach, I'm not sure how to trim it to cover the end of all those planks (purely a cosmetic question...)

I've included a photo of the base of the 2x4 wall and decking area. The house wall is to the left of the photo, perpendicular to this wall, and is shingled in matching cedar.

Other approaches to consider?

Thoughts appreciated!

deck.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First off you will need to see what is supporting the wall under the deck if you cut the existing decking you may have to sister under the wall as well to support the cut ends on both sides.. Since those shake shingles are probably cedar i would get a cedar 2x4 and miter cut the top to flow water off and use it as a bottom trim.

But a better way would be to cut the bottom plate free. Jack up enough that u can get the decking out and then when done screw it up from the under side. Im betting you will find rot under the wall as water is probably sitting under the plate. Better to do it right and save a headach in the future. Also i would check the level of your deck and make sure you have at least 1/2 inch of slop away from the wall..

I have the same situation, so will be watching this thread.

Isn't there typically a nice drip edge flashing between a deck and the home? I have a metal sill plate that the deck boards rest on, which is in turn, on the concrete foundation.
The deck boards rest on the foundation by about an inch. No water goes from the deck to the home this way.

zrock - I'm not sure I want to cut the bottom plate free and jack up the structure...seems like that would make the job a lot bigger.

sportbikerider78 - the decking in question goes under a half wall built on the deck. The house wall runs parallel to the decking.

Also, I took some additional photos. Looks like the original builder may have considered decking replacement. The 2x4 wall doesn't appear to be centered on the double joist, but instead is offset. You can see that in one of the photos below...

I haven't been able to determine whether the decking is nailed (or otherwise attached) to the double joists, or if the 2x4 wall is even attached. It's just possible that it floats on the decking. Wouldn't that be nice! I think the only way to figure this out is to remove a board or two...and I'm not quite ready to do that...

Thanks!

IMG_4498.jpeg

Deck structure

IMG_4505.jpeg

Decking detail under screen door jamb

IMG_4501 copy.jpg

Doubled joist under 2x4 wall, wall appears to be offset

IMG_4503.jpeg

More detail of doubled joist

With easy access below this shouldn't be a problem. All depends on your carpentry skills.

I've got a sawzall and a sledge hammer. I should be fine, right? :)
Unfortunately owning the tools doesn't cut it! No pun intended!