Need contact info for Enviro....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhider

Feb 27, 2012
Southern Maine
I have a Vistaflame VF170 (Enviro Maxx) and I have been having some troubles with ash buildup in the pot. I have tried sending them messages via the link on the website but have had no response. I was wondering if any of you out there might have a direct email address so i can get in touch with someone there. Thanks in advance!!

Betcha Jay knows those guys by first name. :rolleyes:

He'll be along shortly I'm sure.

Actually, The Enviro CS rep's will probably tell you to call VistaFlame. They are both Sherwood Industries companies, But seperate. Probaby why Enviro hasn't contacted you. I don't have any contacts at VistaFlame. And pretty sure they will have you contact the place of purchase first, If you hit a dead end they might step in and contact the original dealer.

Keep us posted.

I got a "converstation" with Jory @ Enviro. I have sent them my info and hopefully they can troubleshoot this for me. I did change the combustion fan but the problem got worse. The pellets were overfllowing after 6 hours! I have not had to run the stove in a week but i want it running A1 before next season...

The "dealer" seems offed that I even went back to them when i had a problem. I think they are pissy because I didnt buy the stove they wanted to sell me and i didnt take there install or vent parts. WAY overpriced so i did it myself... maybe thats the problem?

I got a "converstation" with Jory @ Enviro. I have sent them my info and hopefully they can troubleshoot this for me. I did change the combustion fan but the problem got worse. The pellets were overfllowing after 6 hours! I have not had to run the stove in a week but i want it running A1 before next season...

The "dealer" seems offed that I even went back to them when i had a problem. I think they are pissy because I didnt buy the stove they wanted to sell me and i didnt take there install or vent parts. WAY overpriced so i did it myself... maybe thats the problem?

I have had contact with jory, Very helpful person. Was this a older unit that was a left over dealer stock item? Besides the exhaust blower, I think there was mods to the burnpot liner. Jory should be able to confirm.

Doesn't matter if they are offended, They are still reponsible for the warrantee's to your unit! You might be able to get assistance from an area rep, As your dealer has left you high and dry. The dealer should be reported to VistaFlame. I'm sure they don't want tardy service(from the dealer) as it gives the VF name a bad rap! If your not happy make your statement known.

rhider,

When you installed that unit did you set the draft using a magnehelic gage according to the installation manual's instructions?

rhider,

When you installed that unit did you set the draft using a magnehelic gage according to the installation manual's instructions?

I did not. I dont have access to a magnehelic gauge. The instructions talked about using the flame characteristics instead. At this point I have to run the damper on the exhaust fan wide open. Still seems to be a lack of air.

Please describe your set up, we need detailed venting information and also if you have outside air hooked up and what floor the stove is on and how many in the house.

ETA: I'm going to be in and out today doing a bit of outside yard work.

Ok. I need to know what year it was made? I can help you. Most likely, the igniter tube is too far forward and your burn grate has changed shape slightly. You can tell by looking at the front of the burn pot...can you see the upper row of holes over the lip of the air box? if so, this is your issue. Remedy, get a new burn pot. DIY remedy, cut 1/8th inch of of the igniter tube extending into the air box.

Please describe your set up, we need detailed venting information and also if you have outside air hooked up and what floor the stove is on and how many in the house.

ETA: I'm going to in and out today doing a bit of outside yard work.

4" vent 6' rise out sill plate 2'
OAK installed
Basement install, only stove.

Ok. I need to know what year it was made? I can help you. Most likely, the igniter tube is too far forward and your burn grate has changed shape slightly. You can tell by looking at the front of the burn pot...can you see the upper row of holes over the lip of the air box? if so, this is your issue. Remedy, get a new burn pot. DIY remedy, cut 1/8th inch of of the igniter tube extending into the air box.

Manufactured feb '08
Burn pot sets in fine, ingnitor tube is longer than the air tubes but not interfering with placement of burn pot.

Manufactured feb '08
Burn pot sets in fine, ingnitor tube is longer than the air tubes but not interfering with placement of burn pot.

It may be interfering with air flow through the pot however.

What size is your OAK and would you please post a picture of your burn pot in the stove?

rhider,
I have the same stove as you, mfg'd in 2008. I agree, your igniter is most likely too far out. Mine is about 1/2" recessed in hole.
Was this a new stove ? With the stove off, can you verify damper is working correctly by taking
out the ash bucket, can see slider move when you move the damper. should be able to move air flow to
the point that almost all pellets fly out of burnpot.
When my vistaflame was installed, ran awful like yours,pellet buildup,etc. i do not have a magnahelic gage,
so i also set it by flame characteristics per the manual.
i have found a sweet spot on damper setting that works with all pellets i have tried.
get a ruler. on the left side of unit is damper setting. measure 2" from side cover to the start of black round ball where it connects to damper rod. set the locking nut (i dont know what the tech term is for it) to this setting. my stove has run great since doing this.
good luck

rhider,
I have the same stove as you, mfg'd in 2008. I agree, your igniter is most likely too far out. Mine is about 1/2" recessed in hole.
Was this a new stove ? With the stove off, can you verify damper is working correctly by taking
out the ash bucket, can see slider move when you move the damper. should be able to move air flow to
the point that almost all pellets fly out of burnpot.
When my vistaflame was installed, ran awful like yours,pellet buildup,etc. i do not have a magnahelic gage,
so i also set it by flame characteristics per the manual.
i have found a sweet spot on damper setting that works with all pellets i have tried.
get a ruler. on the left side of unit is damper setting. measure 2" from side cover to the start of black round ball where it connects to damper rod. set the locking nut (i dont know what the tech term is for it) to this setting. my stove has run great since doing this.
good luck

The ignitor "sleve' protrudes about 1/2 into the ask pot. It does not interfer with the ash pot liner setting in properly. The actual ignitor is about 1/2 inside the sleeve.
I have confirmed the damper does indeed close off the exhaust outlet. I do not have the adjustment rod(yet) but i have tried most all settings from 1/2 open to wide open with no luck hitting the sweet spot.

One this i have noticed it the ash pan door doesnt seem to seal super tight like the upper door does. Would this cause an air leak of problem in the burn? How can i test this to see if it is losing vacume here? Should i just replace the rope gasket or is there a way to adjust the lower door?

The ignitor "sleve' protrudes about 1/2 into the ask pot. It does not interfer with the ash pot liner setting in properly. The actual ignitor is about 1/2 inside the sleeve.
I have confirmed the damper does indeed close off the exhaust outlet. I do not have the adjustment rod(yet) but i have tried most all settings from 1/2 open to wide open with no luck hitting the sweet spot.

One this i have noticed it the ash pan door doesnt seem to seal super tight like the upper door does. Would this cause an air leak of problem in the burn? How can i test this to see if it is losing vacume here? Should i just replace the rope gasket or is there a way to adjust the lower door?
All Enviro stoves should have the draft adjusted using a pressure gauge. To do this, you need to let the stove run for 1 hour on high, then follow the directions in the tech manual to find your sweet spot. If you try to do it without the system being completely stable (full heat) then you will get poor results. After you find the correct setting, if you are still getting poor performance you need to look into all of your seals, the RPM of the exhaust motor or the quality of the pellets.

It may be interfering with air flow through the pot however.

What size is your OAK and would you please post a picture of your burn pot in the stove?

here are a few pictures from todays start up....went and got cold again!!

During the startup the burn pot liner fills about 3/4 full before a flame is ignited. The pellets never seem to "dance around" as most have told me to look for.
It seems the is too much of a "base" of pellets when starting that it can never catch up with cleaning the ash out....

IMG_1311.JPGIMG_1312.JPGIMG_1313.JPGIMG_1314.JPGIMG_1315.JPGIMG_1316.JPGIMG_1317.JPGIMG_1321.JPGIMG_1324.JPGIMG_1326.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.