Need electrical advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
I'm installing (hardwired) florescent lights in my shop. Trying to avoid a trip to town to buy junction boxes if I don't have to. Can the light fixture serve as a junction box by code? The fixture itself will accommodate a wire in and out. Can I run the wire in, make the parallel connection inside the ballast box and run the wire out to the next fixture and have it serve as the junction box?

Reactions: zvholk
FWIW these are troffer style lights that came from a demo job. I'll just be hanging them from chains rather than a suspended ceiling.

Short answer yes (In Ontario) code my be different other places

Not sure of code, but I did that in my detached garage. Seems ok.

If they were fixed mounted you would be fine, mounted on chains not sure.

Reactions: tadmaz and Highbeam
If they were fixed mounted you would be fine, mounted on chains not sure.
They will be mounted on chains. They were removed from a suspended ceiling but they were hard wired and only hung there by wire. All the other electrical had already been removed so I couldn't see how they wired.

Not sure about code but iv seen lots of shops with them hung by chains with electrical coming in and out.. The purpose of the box is so no connections are barred behind a finished surface that cannot be found.

The fixtures in my shop are hung on chains with armour cable secured on the chain one in one out

Totally fine. The fixture serves as a junction box. If you think about the lighting in your house or your outlets, that’s they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. It all worked out. The only problem I had was the ballast covers were a bit tight and hard to get back on once I had an extra wire in there. I can actually see in my RV shop now! Had these lights stacked in there for over year and finally got the motivation to get them installed.

Reactions: saewoody