Need Help Adding a Fireplace to Living Room Exterior Wall: ZC vs. Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TNBoonton

Dec 29, 2023
New Jersey
My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home (a 140 year old Victorian), and one of the things we want to do prior to moving in is have a wood burning fireplace installed in the living room. We are lifelong apartment people, so we’re desperately in need of some advice and expertise here, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is currently no fireplace in the room, and no flue/chimney. The wall we want to put it on is a first floor exterior wall, so I’m assuming that we can put in an EPA certified ZC fireplace, and then run the necessary flue up the side of the house, and then enclose the flue in some sort of decorative brick (veneer?).

We’ve been researching our various options, and the first big question is: should we only be looking at ZC fireplaces, or can we also look at things that are marked as inserts, like the Quadra-Fire Expedition II? It seems like in the insert category we find a few more options that fit with the more classic design look that we like, but I’m concerned that since there isn’t a preexisting fireplace to set it into, we’ll be making install more complicated in dealing with all the necessary additional clearances. (The real concern being that that might make the install considerably more expensive.)

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any thoughts!

Reactions: ctreitzell
An insert goes into an existing fireplace meaning one would have to be built first, before dealing with the expense of adding an insert and a 6" liner. A good ZC fireplace is certainly a less expensive and almost always preferable option. Another option is to install a good looking freestanding stove that has a nice fireview. For a Victorean look, consider the Woodstock Fireview.

A ZC is basically a stove in a steel box. It can only radiate out the front- the heat from the back and sides is all convection into the air in the box. It needs a fan to move the hot air out of the box. By the end of the season I'm getting sick of hearing the fan run.

With a ZC you will need to build a box that sticks out from the wall into the room to house the ZC, and a chase for the stove pipe. The chase can be interior to the house or exterior. Between box and the chase and the expensive insulated double wall pipe, the ZC may cost more than a stove.

If you go to replace the ZC you'll probably have to rebuild or modify the box surrounding the ZC since the new one is probably not the same size as the old one.

I think a stove is more versatile and likely costs less. But it takes more floor room. I put a ZC into our house replacing a fireplace. If the room had been larger I'd have put a stove in.

If you go with an insert you’ll need to have a $25-40K fireplace built to insert it into… not practical. Lots of ZC fireplaces can be fit into existing spaces. If it can sit within the envelope of the home you are better off. Much cheaper and more efficient. I have an FPX Apex in a corner of my place.

IMG_02.jpeg

What is the reason for wanting to burn wood? Do you just want to look at the fire?, or do you want to heat the home? For looks you won't need much wood, for heat that's another story. For heat you will need to process or buy wood and store it.

What is the reason for wanting to burn wood? Do you just want to look at the fire?, or do you want to heat the home? For looks you won't need much wood, for heat that's another story. For heat you will need to process or buy wood and store it.
this is a great question and comment

I only have my experience to share and am not an expert, by any means

much thought should be given to why anyone would want a live fire contained within their dwelling!

@TNBoonton ask yourself:
If you already have wood supply in proximity to your dwelling, then maybe it's wise to leverage your situation and save money on utilities.

If you do not have previous fire for heat experience in a dwelling:

Realize, #1 that a fire of any type inside your home is dangerous...incredibly dangerous.

#2 firewood management is messy and requires a healthy understanding of wood species and moisture content and any possibility of burning wood that might have had a potentially hazardous chemical treatment before it became "firewood". Wood storage is critical. You'll probably require 4x more storage than you might first determine.

#3 cleaning and maintenance
short term: cleaning out and "disposal" of ashes is another dangerous area which requires great attention to detail.
longer term: chimney sweeping; do you have local pros or will you be tasked with doing this yourself?

In my situation, I spend an enormous amount of daily time on wood burning related tasks. I like most of the tasks, but really would like to spend less time on said tasks.

My current install is not good, dodgy at best, and I'm deeply considering how to get my wood heat more centralized in my dwelling...Where I live, electricity and gas supply prices are far too high and I have a lot of wood supply on my property...plus buying firewood from local vendors is better VFM than any utility supplier.

I have a modern stove which heats well, but I do require a larger firebox and more robust build along with legal, correctly specified flue to achieve longer burn times.

Last edited:
... one of the things we want to do prior to moving in is have a wood burning fireplace installed in the living room.

There is currently no fireplace in the room, and no flue/chimney. The wall we want to put it on is a first floor exterior wall...
Why exterior wall flue/ chimney? This is not the most energy efficient position :)

You should seriously consider locating your wood burning appliance in a central location for heating efficiency.

Why exterior wall flue/ chimney? This is not the most energy efficient position :)

You should seriously consider locating your wood burning appliance in a central location for heating efficiency.
It’s common in the US because most floor plans don’t allow the room it takes to add a fireplace in the middle of the home. Stoves are easier to fit in, most people still want to put them in a corner that’s out of the way though.

It’s common in the US because most floor plans don’t allow the room it takes to add a fireplace in the middle of the home. Stoves are easier to fit in, most people still want to put them in a corner that’s out of the way though.
it's common in the UK and Europe too
that said, my houses in england have coal fireplace chimneys throughout- no longer functional...but they were placed on side walls none-the-less

in previous eras it was not a heating efficiency plan- it was ease of install/ location
I was born and raised in Northern California, I understand both sides of the pond to some degree :)
I haven't spent any time on the east coast or northern states, tho

I'd say floor plans in the US are far more generous than European ones and definitely much more copious than the UK! Hey, anyway, depends upon the property

@TNBoonton Ever go to the bagel shop down the hill from the Walmart in the shopping plaza with the Dunkin Donuts?

Ever watch Embers YT channel? Some good info can be found there

ZC? Why not go electric?

My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home (a 140 year old Victorian), and one of the things we want to do prior to moving in is have a wood burning fireplace installed in the living room. We are lifelong apartment people, so we’re desperately in need of some advice and expertise here, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is currently no fireplace in the room, and no flue/chimney. The wall we want to put it on is a first floor exterior wall, so I’m assuming that we can put in an EPA certified ZC fireplace, and then run the necessary flue up the side of the house, and then enclose the flue in some sort of decorative brick (veneer?).

We’ve been researching our various options, and the first big question is: should we only be looking at ZC fireplaces, or can we also look at things that are marked as inserts, like the Quadra-Fire Expedition II? It seems like in the insert category we find a few more options that fit with the more classic design look that we like, but I’m concerned that since there isn’t a preexisting fireplace to set it into, we’ll be making install more complicated in dealing with all the necessary additional clearances. (The real concern being that that might make the install considerably more expensive.)

Thanks for reading, and thanks for any thoughts!
Pacific Energy and RSF make modern EPA ZC fireplaces with this sized firebox. The size will depend on the area being heated. If the living room is open to other rooms, then a larger fireplace may be warranted. But if it is closed off, then stick with something smaller. Here are a couple examples with a classic look.

We just installed a RSF Pearl 3600 zc fireplace in July 2023. Our place is 1900 sqft and super insulated. Main floor is open with a vaulted ceiling. I have only been using it for about 3 months. It throws a ton of heat. We previously had a PE Super 27 wood stove in our previous place and it feels very similar in terms of heat and size. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Happy new year everyone.

IMG_7269.jpeg IMG_7233.jpeg

We just installed a RSF Pearl 3600 zc fireplace in July 2023. Our place is 1900 sqft and super insulated. Main floor is open with a vaulted ceiling. I have only been using it for about 3 months. It throws a ton of heat. We previously had a PE Super 27 wood stove in our previous place and it feels very similar in terms of heat and size. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Happy new year everyone.

View attachment 321773 View attachment 321774
That looks great. It finished out very nicely.

Reactions: Chester1