Need help before cutting hole for thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robs300zx1990

Oct 11, 2023
New York
Getting ready to cut a hole in the wall for thimble. Was going to run double wall so at least 9" from ceiling. Question is where I'm installing the chimney looks like will be maybe 4" away from the direct line up of chimney possibly. Is the double wall stove pipe maneuverable where I will be able to adjust it to reach the stove correctly or is it imperative to line the chimney up correctly. I know people replace stoves and the footprint could change correct. Should I go lower down and run single wall instead?

Or do I not stress it and install the chimney where i can mount between studs and the double wall can be installed and adjusted to work regardless

Thanks

So you're saying there's a 4" side to side offset between the thimble hole and the stove outlet?
You can always offset the pipe using a 45 degree elbow to the right/left and then 90 into the wall. But actually that might push it over by more than 4" even with the fittings tight to each other. I take it there's no possibility of moving the stove over to line up?

Also is this a top vent stove or rear vent? If rear vent then no worries at all because you will have two 90s and can swing the angle however you want. Might look funny though

Reactions: Ashful
This is how mine lines up
IMG_20210127_175936.jpg

Lovin' that rustic decor, gthomas. Looks like my kind of place.

It's a top vent Drolet deco alto. I don't physically have the stove yet so I made a cardboard cutout of its dimensions. It's arriving Tuesday. The hole would be 4" to the left. I need to maintain 12" maybe it could shift in some what or another just not to sure. I bought there 60" hearth pad. I wanted to put thimble closer to wall but where the studs are it's to close to the wall for the stove pipe.

20231015_122327.jpg

Connect the stove with 45s and an offset instead of a 90º elbow like gthomas even if the offset is smaller.

Connect the stove with 45s and an offset instead of a 90º elbow like gthomas even if the offset is smaller.
I'd be fighting to keep the pipe vertical, as a small angle is going to look goofy. If offset isn't enough to allow a vertical pipe to a 45 degree jog, I'd actually move the stove further off-center, just to make that fit!

A pipe run 6 feet and 10 degrees off plumb is just going to look goofy.

Agreed and there is no flex to a double-wall stove pipe. It should seat squarely in the flue collar and at the thimble.

I mean once I have the stove and everything I should be able to see better of what I can do. My issue is there few days are the nicest for who knows so would like to do the outside piping. So you think I might be better off making the hole 18" away from ceiling Incase it makes more sense to run signal wall? I attached my fitment specs.

Screenshot_20231026_222711_Adobe Acrobat.jpg Screenshot_20231026_222727_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It's a top vent Drolet deco alto. I don't physically have the stove yet so I made a cardboard cutout of its dimensions. It's arriving Tuesday. The hole would be 4" to the left. I need to maintain 12" maybe it could shift in some what or another just not to sure. I bought there 60" hearth pad. I wanted to put thimble closer to wall but where the studs are it's to close to the wall for the stove pipe.

View attachment 317435

The picture makes it look like the stove could be moved to the left a bit more. The clearance is from the wall not the baseboard radiator. Would that help? Or would it be possible to bring the stove forward away from the corner a bit so that the flue is plumb while maintaining at least 12" corner clearance?

I'd stick with double-wall stove pipe. With it's superior construction it will last longer while it helps improve draft and lowers the opportunity for creosote accumulation.