Need help choosing mobile home approved wood stove in 2022!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are propane heaters that do not need any electricity to run, or have a battery backup system for pilotless ignition. The cost of operation would be more expensive than electric if used for full time heating, but much less if used as a backup during outages for a mini-split as the primary heating system.

If wood heating is intended for this coming winter then I must emphasize the need to get the wood split and stacked now and to get doug fir for the quickest drying. The heat output of any stove is much less when the wood is not well seasoned. Modern EPA stoves are particular about dry fuel. Poorly seasoned wood could end up with the stove never reaching secondary combustion, eating a lot more wood to stay warm, and in turn, lead to a very dirty flue system.
I hear you both on the firewood- I’d love to get that taken care of, like months ago, but unfortunately I have to rely on others (very well respected local landscaping company) to get the permit (i technically live on a nature preserve *eye roll*) and come chop down the trees and cut and stack them for me. For $4000. *eyes roll right out of my head and fall into a crack on the floor*

I signed the contract for the trees 2 months ago. They said it should be about 2 weeks to a month. I called last week to see what I could see, they said it was waiting on county because permits in the preserve are tricky, nothing I can do to speed it along. Told me not to call the county, so as soon as I hung up I called the county- who said they’d never received a permit application for my property.
See where I’m going with this?
I’ll start hunting down firewood sources for this year today. I know it won’t be seasoned. Wuddya gonna do. Life.

If it is doug fir and you can buy it now, stack it and top cover it. I was late last year due to a no-show, I still had burnable wood by November. The late June heat bomb probably helped. I don't know if Bontrager's Firewood from Arlington delivers to Whidbey. They have a good reputation. I see a Pioneer Tree Service in Oak Harbor.

Reactions: Huckpoten
If it is doug fir and you can buy it now, stack it and top cover it. I was late last year due to a no-show, I still had burnable wood by November. The late June heat bomb probably helped. I don't know if Bontrager's Firewood from Arlington delivers to Whidbey. They have a good reputation. I see a Pioneer Tree Service in Oak Harbor.
Pioneer is who I’ve been waiting 2 months on to come cut the trees.
Hopefully they’ll get the permit done soon, now that I’ve let them know the application was never received by county. They said they were taking care of it.

I just found someone on Craigslist in Anacortes offering to deliver 6 month cut alder for $175 a cord. I emailed them and asked if they would deliver to Coupeville for extra travel fee. Haven’t seen much else that looked good that would deliver. Getting it to me is likely to be an issue, I’m afraid. I think the Doug fir I was seeing was something more like $250-300 a cord, and pick up only…

I cut my firewood in 3 differant areas but too many people have moved out to cottage country and cutting areas are cleaned out.i phoned a company that is 75 miles away and can get 12 cords of 8ft pine delivered to my yard for$1927.80 in canadian funds.i guess roughly 160 a cord.going to order next spring.

Just had 2 wonderful souls deliver 2 cords of mostly dry (the “thock” sounded very encouraging- not like the wet “clunk” I’ve dealt with in previous years!) alder/cedar. They even stacked it all for me without being asked. That about made my year.
Now on to the stove!
Thanks for all the input and suggestions :)

09A0985A-CF81-49D2-955F-1E532D93DF4E.jpeg

Reactions: EbS-P
excellent!

Still get those trees down, cut, split, and stacked! If you can get 3 years ahead on the wood you'll be burning perfect wood!

That is a wonderful gift. Hope the stove install works out as well. Does the Lakewood have a flat or pitched roof?

And get a top cover on it
There probably will be little rain here until Sept. and low relative humidity, but yes top cover by Sept. I am more concerned about the wood being fully off the ground. See if you can get some pallets to load future stacks upon.

That is a wonderful gift. Hope the stove install works out as well. Does the Lakewood have a flat or pitched roof?

There probably will be little rain here until Sept. and low relative humidity, but yes top cover by Sept. I am more concerned about the wood being fully off the ground. See if you can get some pallets to load future stacks upon.
The mobile home has a mostly flat roof, except the front room which has a slight horizontal pitch, and the stove chimney will go through the pitched part. At its highest, maybe 1 ft above rest of roof. (See photo)

I got a couple of heavy duty tarps that I’ll cover the wood with if it looks like rain again.

The guys who sold me the alder actually unscrewed their 2x4 truck framing that kept the wood in the truck to use as a base so the wood would be a bit off the ground.

Like I said, wonderful souls. I had rushed around trying to find pallets at Walmart and Home Depot, but no one had any to give or sell. I had bought several 2x6s and a few cinder blocks to make a half-assed lift for some of the wood, but it wasn’t big enough for more than 1/3rd.

I very much lucked out with alder guys! Their post had just gone up a few hours before. 👍

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 100
The mobile home has a mostly flat roof, except the front room which has a slight horizontal pitch, and the stove chimney will go through the pitched part. At its highest, maybe 1 ft above rest of roof. (See photo)

I got a couple of heavy duty tarps that I’ll cover the wood with if it looks like rain again.

The guys who sold me the alder actually unscrewed their 2x4 truck framing that kept the wood in the truck to use as a base so the wood would be a bit off the ground.

Like I said, wonderful souls. I had rushed around trying to find pallets at Walmart and Home Depot, but no one had any to give or sell. I had bought several 2x6s and a few cinder blocks to make a half-assed lift for some of the wood, but it wasn’t big enough for more than 1/3rd.

I very much lucked out with alder guys! Their post had just gone up a few hours before. 👍
Doh. More than one foot…18 inches?

To meet code you will need to be 2' higher than anything within 10' or 3' out of the roof which ever is higher. But most stoves will need at least 12' above the top of the stove. Some need 15'

Looks like you will need a short, cathedral ceiling support box for the chimney. My guess is that there will be about 6' of chimney pipe above the roof to make 12' above the stovetop if the Century, Drolet, Regency, or True North stove is selected. The chimney will need a roof brace at 5' above the roof. This is especially important with the high local winds.