Need help converting an older Majestic from NG to LP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BLIMP said:
the final say on this is your code inspector with whom you should first discuss whatever you decide to do before you do it. redrilling the burner tube would probably void UL listing of the stove

No inspectors on this job. This is a renegade Fireplace job.

Wood Heat Stoves said:
deluzbee said:
I took it off is this it ? Do you think i'm better off just replacing the honeywell unit with a new propane unit and a new burner assembly. Is something like that even available. If its all the same relative size I can probably get it all into the fireplace.

the pilot orifice is on the other end of the pilot tube, under pilot hood

i dont know of any new valve/burner systems that could go into the unit, certainly none that would be approved for that use....
I was thinking something like the Gas Fireplace Safety Pilot Kit with Remote Control Flame Management
by Skytech. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSSUN4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ACP6JMVRXLHJ5 with a propane converter. I would also add a new propane burner.

burner 30in Dual Flame Box Burner Arctic Flame http://www.amazon.com/30in-Dual-Flame-Burner-Arctic/dp/B003LUJR28/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Any reason why that shouldn't work.

#54 Orifice Drill will get ya 21131 BTU with LP. Most LP suppliers should have a resizing kit with a reamer & plugs that get pressed into the burner orifice & then get drilled to size. I wouldn't worry about the hole diameters in the burner tube. Most of the older units didn't require a burner change, just the (2) LP sized orifices (burner & pilot), the LP valve regulator head & the air shutter adjustment.
OTOH, if you're trying to get heat out of this thing, it ain't gonna happen. It's not much more than a gas log, according to the rating plate. I see the words "decorative appliance"...You can't even put a thermostat on that baby - by code.

Thanks Bob that sounds like good news. I'm new to all of this so thanks for bearing with me. I really appreciate all of the help. If I was going to bring all of my components (except the fireplace and burners) to a place to get resized, what kind of business should I look for. Are there places/shops that do that kind of thing?
If I cant find someone local, I'm willing to mail it out, as long as its affordable.

Thanks

I'd say go to a local hearth shop or a local heating & plumbing outfit.
A business that has to deal with these issues routinely should have the necessary tooling
for making gas conversions...

Status
Not open for further replies.