Need help identifying insulated pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahdm

Oct 7, 2014
Indiana, USA
Hi all, I have just moved into a new house with an existing stove and flue system. I've disconnected the old pre-EPA stove and am trying to connect my newer stove to the existing flue. I need a connector to go from the insulated to single-wall but do not know how to identify the brand of the insulated pipe. Unfortunately I do not have a camera so cannot post a picture of it, but can say that at the female end it has a small indented band about 2" from the end, and the last 2" section contains 8 evenly-spaced tabs with raised vertical lines in between. There is also a 1" band around the outside of each pipe, that can be slid into place over the joints. I hope hope hope this sounds familiar to somebody, because the flue is perfectly fine and beautiful, it just needs a connecting piece, and I've got no idea where/whom to contact to purchase one. Anyone recognize the brand? Thank you.

Last edited:
OK, will try to get one up ASAP. Was hoping the snap-in config (rather than twist) plus the 8 tabs might be enough, no such luck I guess. Crazy thing is the UL stickers are still on it, but they've been sprayed over with black, so I can't make anything out other than the big "UL" and what looks like "Michigan" and "USA."

You might try to clean a label off with some paint thinner or goof off, something like it anyway.
Where in Indiana are you?

Last edited:
Bloomington. Unfortunately the labels are flaking off at the edges, BUT I think mystery might be solved. :) Shining light across was able to make out "Holland Michigan"-- must be Vogelzang. Didn't know they made anything besides camp stoves-- this is very nice flue. I will call them tomorrow. Might long be discontinued-- hope not though. Don't want to have to fabricate part but would be cheaper than replacing 30' of insulated pipe. (Darn it, just want the thing up and running! Without an operational wood stove I feel NERVOUS with winter approaching.

BTW, have been heating with wood for nine or ten years now. Before buying my first stove/flue setup, I spent at least six months on this very forum reading and learning about how to burn properly and what to buy. Have sent a few others this way too. Was without internet for a few years and lost/forgot the old login... anyway hearth.com is a beautiful thing. :)

To my knowledge Vogelzang never made chimney pipe.

WOO HOO HOORAY!!! This pipe has been positively identified after two hours of phone research and the incredible good luck of getting the knowledgeable and patient Karen on the phone at the Selkirk help desk (thank you, thank you Karen!) My lovely old class A pipe is a discontinued but still fairly common Hart & Cooley type D or TD and is still supported. The Selkirk adaptor I already have apparently does fit, if one follows instructions and uses a few screws; instructions on the way. (Hart & Cooley TLC, its replacement, mfg'd by Selkirk).

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.