Need help repairing '80s Appalachian 32 Freestanding Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winginit

Oct 28, 2018
Cincinnati
We have an Appalachian 32 stove from I believe 1983 (the plate says "Tested 5/83) that came with the home we bought 12 years ago. It is a gorgeous stove.

The damper has never been easy to use. It comes "undone" and we have to futz with it to get it back into place. The household rule is to be reeeaaaalllly careful when adjusting the damper, which is a joke because if you are feeding the stove, you are adjusting the damper every 1.5 hours.

I believe a part has broken from inside the damper as we can no longer get it to operate properly. I can't tell which one to order from Appalachianstove.com, nor do I trust them as they don't answer emails or phone calls. Suggestions?

The best way to diagnose the problem may be to let the stove go cold and observe the action of the damper assembly. It may just be a loose bracket or it could be a part has broken. It's a shame you are not getting any help thru Appalachian. Finding parts for this stove could be hard. Try giving the folks are Woodmans a call and see if they can help.
https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/product.aspx?d_id=939&p_id=787288