Need help - Tiny House/Shed Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok. I'll get moving on this. Would this stove be ridiculous in a poorly insulated (no insulation in ceiling) 2 car garage?
No. Still oversized but not bad. Be aware a solid fuel burner in a garage is against code in the USA. They are in woodshops in many areas as well.

No. Still oversized but not bad. Be aware a solid fuel burner in a garage is against code in the USA. They are in woodshops in many areas as well.
Great. Thanks. I actually talked with the fire marshall a few months back about it. He said as long as we weren't using it as a garage it would be fine.

You guys might have saved some lives here tonight talking me out of this! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Great. Thanks. I actually talked with the fire marshall a few months back about it. He said as long as we weren't using it as a garage it would be fine.

You guys might have saved some lives here tonight talking me out of this! :) Happy Thanksgiving!
The fire marshal isn't the one who will accept or deny an insurance claim if anything happens. I am.just telling you this to make you aware of the risks. I honestly think it's a stupid code but an insurance adjuster could easily use it against you.

The fire marshal isn't the one who will accept or deny an insurance claim if anything happens. I am.just telling you this to make you aware of the risks. I honestly think it's a stupid code but an insurance adjuster could easily use it against you.
Maybe a kerosene heater would be better....

Do you have natural gas or propane?

In terms of cost of install it's pretty hard to beat a gas fired unit heater hung from the roof. I guess an electric one would be cheaper, but could create quite the electric bill if it was used much.

Or a pellet stove. Pellet Pro has some affordable models.
I was hoping for the wood stove because I have lots of scrap... Free fuel...

And I was hoping to do it on the cheap. A heat pump would probably be the best option for me if I'm not going wood stove. But for the time being - I think a cheap kerosene heater will get me through the winter.
Do you have natural gas or propane?

In terms of cost of install it's pretty hard to beat a gas fired unit heater hung from the roof. I guess an electric one would be cheaper, but could create quite the electric bill if it was used much.
I have propane. I'll look into it.

There's a possibility of going through the roof. Looking at all these - I'm realizing this is much bigger project than I initially thought.

Would it be possible to vent my little stove out the window just to get through this winter? If I'm going to put something like this in, I'll probably want to get a better/more permanent stove.

Any suggestions for a temporary fix? I saw people on Youtube venting stoves like mine through a window using pellet stove pipe - which was why I started going down this rabbit hole.

Some of the things you see on YouTube aren't put together by professionals. They are more bush fixes, hacks and something that could get you in trouble. Nothing worse then looking something up on YouTube installing it and burning the place down. Your getting quality advice here. This is something you dont rush. You could do a temporary propane space heater for now until you get the right stove and parts..

Reactions: bholler
I have a 350sqft tiny house and a guide gear camp stove... I use that stove to cook on outside only. There is no way I would use it indoors. I have had it for a few years. In the long run the whole stove WILL warp. Very dangerous for inside use. I do heat the tiny house with a wood stove (only source of heat) I use to use a century s244. It done well. It took it a bit to warm inside from a winter's cold start. We had to get up a few times and feed it so that we could have good coals in the morning to easily heat up the tiny house and cook on. I have since replaced that stove with a fisher baby bear wood stove.
The baby bear heats it up faster, overnight burns are alot longer ( usually dont have to get up at night to feed it and there will be good coals to warm and cook on) cooking on it is just better.

A camp stove is not intended for inside use and would not be safe. It doesn't qualify legally either. Very light so you can haul it out to a campsite.

Reactions: clancey