Need help to choose 1 of 2 Jotuls or go in different direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FBFL is COLD

Jan 7, 2017
Florida
Hi - I have never posted before.....anywhere (forgive me if this is an incorrect post or post place) but I have been researching many, many different forums and now am totally confused and am pleading for your wise help!
I live in northeast Florida and we have a freeze warning tonight. It does get cold here! I am from MD and grew up with wood stoves and I want one. My avatar is from last month when I visited my parents in MD and my dog is in front of their VC Aspen(which my dad hates.)
My house in FL is only 1,300 square feet. I found two old Jotul 118s for sale and need your advice. One is in excellent condition and even has the original manual for $500.00. The other is on eBay with a starting bid of $300.00 but has surface rust but "no visible cracks." Should I go ahead and buy the one in excellent condition for $500 or try to get the $300 one that no one has bid on (or will this post make readers find it and bid on it???). My boyfriend can fix things so I think he could easily figure out how to fix the $300 one with surface rust that has "no visible cracks."
I have researched many old stoves for sale as I can't afford a new one. $500.00 is my absolute limit. Although US Stove has new, small, cheap stoves at $250 (that get crappy reviews) for small houses, I think going with an old stove is better.
Please give me guidance! Thanks.

Both are good prices for a decent 118. It's a good heater. You need to know what the interior of the stoves looks like. In particular what condition the baffle and side burn plates are in. If they need replacement they are costly.

Both are good prices for a decent 118. It's a good heater. You need to know what the interior of the stoves looks like. In particular what condition the baffle and side burn plates are in. If they need replacement they are costly.
Wow! That was fast! Thanks so much! I just texted the owner of the "excellent condition" one to ask him about that. Coincidentally, I had emailed the owner of the $300 eBay one last night about something else and have not received a reply. Here is the link to the $300 eBay one...... http://m.ebay.com/itm/jotul-wood-stove-/262792364972?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

From what is showing the eBay stove looks pretty good other than the cosmetic enamel issues.

File size might be too large? Check your mailbox here (little envelope icon in the upper right top of this forum) next to your name.

I have split the video up but it has been brought to my attention that someone in the beginning may say that this stove makes people sick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 138
Looks like it may not be a supported format. Check your Conversation mail.