Need help understand block off pates in stove inserts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Torgul83

Mar 13, 2022
North castle Ny
Hello all.
So I'm getting the lopi large flush next gen installed into a heatilator masonry fireplace. It has a steel firebox with a damper and the lopi should fit just fine. My question is will my current lever controlled damper in my current FP be removed and then a block off plate be installed? I imagine the 6 inch diameter liner won't pass through my damper so it must be removed. Sorry haven't trouble conceptualizing it. I want to make sure I understand the process before I go an speak to the installer

Yes. The damper will be removed. The block off plate is your choice. A lot of people have them. I personally don’t and my stove still heats my home just fine

A block off plate absolutely is not required. But it will help keep more of the heat produced by your stove in your house.

I also don't have one. Insert works fine for my needs.

Would not having a block off plate help keep the chimney liner cleaner by providing more heat to burn creosote off?

Would not having a block off plate help keep the chimney liner cleaner by providing more heat to burn creosote off?
No the liner insulation is what keeps temps up. And it isn't about burning off creosote (that is a chimney fire) it is about keeping exhaust temps above the condensation point so no creosote forms.