Need help urgently- 8" flue to 6" chimney- Not ideal but ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffcarpineta

Feb 23, 2009
philadelphia
I am almost ready to buy a used Franklin Stove. It seems they are all 8" flues.

I purchased 22 ft. of SS double ins. chimney (used but clean)- made a mistake- it was 6".

Can I connect the stove to the chimney using an 8" to 6" adapter. (if I clean regularly does that help?)

Thanks for your help.

-Jeff C.

You can probably get by okay with it, but it most likely won't meet code unless the stove manufacturer says it's okay to reduce from 8" down to 6".

Do yourself a favor and pass on the franklin. It will never match the controllability, cleanliness or heat output of a modern stove. Most modern stoves use 6" pipe.

I would check the manual of the stove to verify this. If it doesn't state that this is OK than it shouldn't be done.

My VC Encore, according to the manual, can be adapted from 8" into a 6" chimney but when installed into a 6" chimney it clearly says that I can not run it with the doors open.

Rich

Thanks for your note. The fireplace aspect of the stove is what has me attached to it- the aesthetic more than a focus on it as a main heat source in the house. Due to my work- I am not home enough to utilize the stove as a regular heating source.
That said, if I didn't mind the decreased efficiency or cleanliness, is it a hazard to connect the 8" to the 6".

Humbly.... Jeff

The franklin is a pretty useless stove to begin with as far as heat output, combine that with an undersized flue and you are gonna get a stove that will be hard to control

I agree with the other and hold out for a new epa stove with a 6in duct. you will be WAY happier

I don't think the 6" flue will keep up with doors open. My guess is that it will fill the room with smoke. Don't do it. CO and woodsmoke are definitely hazardous.

Status
Not open for further replies.