Need help with a chimney liner ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fast03r1

Oct 28, 2008
ohio
I'm installing a flex liner in a masonry chimney on the outside wall of my house. Should I spend the time and money on the insulation kit for this? I do have about 4 feet of flat run and two elbows getting into the chimney. Second and most important, I have a cleanout at the bottom of this masonry chimney now. Is it ok to run the pipe past the T where it comes in the house at down an additional 5 feet to this existing door to make cleaning the chimney easier? I could take the cap off through this door then and clean the mess up very easily.

If the insulation will fit in the flue it is a good investment. And running the pipe down to the clean-out door is a good thing. I was going to do that but had problems getting the tee down the tile liner so I just ran the liner down and turned it 90 degrees into the thimble.

I think the insulation will fit. I will be taking measurements and calling the manufacture to see how thick it is and find out for sure tomorrow but just wondered if it was worth the time and effort. And I wasn't sure if the additional pipe going down past the T would hurt anything. Should that additional pipe be insulated as well or don't bother with that part?

I wouldn't insulate the bottom piece.

That is what I figured. I just wanted some opinions from people who know more about it than I do since I am just starting into this. Will it be ok to use a leftover piece of the stainless flex liner for the drop under the tee? I don't see any harm in it since the rest of the chimney is the same stuff and it has got to be better than just putting black pipe out there that is going to rust out.

The piece of liner will be perfect for the job. All ya gotta do is figure out how to tightly cap it since the tee cap is probably larger than the liner.

I think I will try to get two more of the transition pieces to go from the flex to solid and that should solve that hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.