Need help with chimeny adaptor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbjfsu

Oct 13, 2017
Tallahassee, FL
I recently bought a house that was built in 1984. Previous owners covered up original wood stove hearth. I have restored the hearth but can't figure the correct pipe to connect to chimney transition. Coming out of the brick chimney, horizontally is a 8 inch pipe with another 5 inch pipe in the center. Attached are pictures of the original hearth, the restored hearth, and the pipe in question. The wood stove I bought has a 6inch outlet and I purchased 6inch single walled pipe to connect to the hearth. Please help me identify the correct adapter.
IMG_3877.png IMG_5282.jpg IMG_5737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there may be a 5" liner installed. It could be that there is a defect in the original chimney or that it is unlined. It should be inspected to verify integrity. You may need to pull the 5" liner and install a 6" liner.

I the 8inch pipe just goes through the brick and opens into the interior of brick chimney. The inside of the chimney looks ok, with sheet metal on the opposite side. The 5 inch does not appear to be a liner, it is attached with veins on the interior side. I intend to have the chimney inspected prior to firing up stove, but I can not figure out how attach to the 8 inch pipe. Attached is a picture of the interior of pipe and exterior chimney.
IMG_5746.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5745.JPG
    IMG_5745.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot tell what I’m looking at really. It looks like a piece of direct vent pipe for a gas stove. It would have a 5” liner with an 8” outer wall.

Reactions: begreen
Yes, sounds like a good guess. I would not be comfortable hooking up a wood stove to this chimney without prior inspection of the lining and clearances from the thimble to combustibles.

Have not come across a thimble like that, maybe bholler or webby3650 have.
I haven't seen one like it no.

I recently bought a house that was built in 1984. Previous owners covered up original wood stove hearth. I have restored the hearth but can't figure the correct pipe to connect to chimney transition. Coming out of the brick chimney, horizontally is a 8 inch pipe with another 5 inch pipe in the center. Attached are pictures of the original hearth, the restored hearth, and the pipe in question. The wood stove I bought has a 6inch outlet and I purchased 6inch single walled pipe to connect to the hearth. Please help me identify the correct adapter.
View attachment 201224 View attachment 201225 View attachment 201226
You really need to have this inspected by a pro