Need help with fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gs54

Dec 8, 2018
I have a fireplace that I can't get to stop smoking into the room. I am burning dry seasoned wood. It is a 2 sided corner fireplace with glass doors. I've read you shouldn't burn with the doors closed but when I open them I get smoke in the house. If I open the doors a few inches the smoke will stay in the fireplace but when open them further smoke rolls out the top of the door frame. The back of the firebox is straight and I dont believe there is a smoke shelf. The old damper is missing and the opening is in the back of the firebox. I have a top sealing damper on it now. The smoke that comes out is a fine light smoke you cant see unless you shine a flash light on it. I attached some pictures of the firebox. It appears that there could be some kind of shelf over the front of the firebox I cant see very well through the damper frame. Would it be a good idea to cut out the old damper frame to make the opening bigger?

Attachments

• Need help with fireplace
    fp.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 107
    fp3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 99
    fp2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 109
    fp4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 103
    fp5.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 112
    fp6.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 96
I have a fireplace that I can't get to stop smoking into the room. I am burning dry seasoned wood. It is a 2 sided corner fireplace with glass doors. I've read you shouldn't burn with the doors closed but when I open them I get smoke in the house. If I open the doors a few inches the smoke will stay in the fireplace but when open them further smoke rolls out the top of the door frame. The back of the firebox is straight and I dont believe there is a smoke shelf. The old damper is missing and the opening is in the back of the firebox. I have a top sealing damper on it now. The smoke that comes out is a fine light smoke you cant see unless you shine a flash light on it. I attached some pictures of the firebox. It appears that there could be some kind of shelf over the front of the firebox I cant see very well through the damper frame. Would it be a good idea to cut out the old damper frame to make the opening bigger?
It is a very poorly designed fireplace. Id don't really see a way to make that work.

Maybe drop a liner down the flue and put in an insert?

I would really like to keep it an open fireplace and Im not sure how I would do an insert with the corner design. Whats wrong with the design? Does the lack of smoke shelf cause a poor draft? Would making the damper opening larger help the draft? The flue liner is 8x12 and chimney is about 15ft high

I would really like to keep it an open fireplace and Im not sure how I would do an insert with the corner design. Whats wrong with the design? Does the lack of smoke shelf cause a poor draft? Would making the damper opening larger help the draft? The flue liner is 8x12 and chimney is about 15ft high
That large flat area in front of the damper area will make it impossible for it to draft properly. No real way to change that. And the liner is way too small. Some rough figures looking at the open area it should be a 12x18 flue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of a smoke shelf will actually improve draft. They are not good for draft at all.

Any ideas for an insert? Should I just look for a small freestanding stove that will fit in the fireplace