Need Help with getting a hot fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NavyPharmer

Jan 17, 2018
Philadelphia
I am new to having a wood stove and have found this website very helpful. I had a Regency I2400 installed last month and I don't think I have had much luck getting secondary combustion. I can't come close to the temperatures that are mentioned in some posts. I use a laser thermometer and about the max temp I can get when measuring the top of the stove is 330 or so. Inside the stove the hottest I can find is in the 920 range. There isn't any smoke coming out of my chimney so maybe I am doing ok.

I know that my wood isn't in the best of condition, it has been "seasoned" for a year but I am pretty sure it isn't in that <20% moisture that is recommended. I have learned a lot from this year's experience and next year will order my wood really early. Is there anyway to salvage this year with the wood I've got or am I doing ok and just need to adjust my expectations?

Thank you for reading and the advice!

Can you get your hands on any well-seasoned wood? Even if you can only get a small amount, mixing that in with your wood would help somewhat.

I am new to having a wood stove and have found this website very helpful. I had a Regency I2400 installed last month and I don't think I have had much luck getting secondary combustion. I can't come close to the temperatures that are mentioned in some posts. I use a laser thermometer and about the max temp I can get when measuring the top of the stove is 330 or so. Inside the stove the hottest I can find is in the 920 range. There isn't any smoke coming out of my chimney so maybe I am doing ok.

I know that my wood isn't in the best of condition, it has been "seasoned" for a year but I am pretty sure it isn't in that <20% moisture that is recommended. I have learned a lot from this year's experience and next year will order my wood really early. Is there anyway to salvage this year with the wood I've got or am I doing ok and just need to adjust my expectations?

Yup, you need dry wood. Do you know anyone who burns for heat that may have some good dry wood you could get from them to dry burning?? I'm talking wood that has been cut and split for a couple years and isn't outside and covered in snow and ice.

I have learned a lot from this year's experience and next year will order my wood really early. Is there anyway to salvage this year with the wood I've got or am I doing ok and just need to adjust my expectations?

Do you have enough space to order next year's wood now? For this year, you can buy compressed sawdust bricks. They're expensive, but will burn well.

You could try some of the 100% wood compressed bricks, available at farm stores, and see what kind of heat output you get from those. Follow instructions on the package..

Try re splitting some of your largest splits in half. Sometimes 4 midsize are better than 2 very large splits. Just remember you may have to tend to the faster burn time and not to "overfire" . Good luck.

It is a very rare thing to ever purchase truly seasoned wood..the only way to control this is to buy your wood NOW for next year and the following...this will get you on the proper path for a 2-3 year ahead program that will allow you run and enjoy the stove properly.

Find some unpainted pallets and mix them with your less than ideal wood. The nails won't hurt anything but they will be in the ashes so remember that. Buy as much wood as you can early and stack it in a windy spot. A breeze does more to remove moisture from wood than sunshine but both would be best if you can. Not sure of your setup but I move mine to the shed in sept. so I don't cover anything; you may have to.

Thank you for all the advice! Unfortunately getting new wood is not an option , I just got a new cord delivered this past Saturday and it was the only place I called that had any wood available and I don't have space for more. And there are some dry pieces in there. I will try the compressed wood and pallets to see if I can get it to improve.

Should I try to get it burning really hot (for me this is around 330, maybe 400 if I can really watch the fire) and then slow the air? Or should I slow the air once I get a good fire going and let the internal temp slowly build?

Thank you for all the advice! Unfortunately getting new wood is not an option , I just got a new cord delivered this past Saturday and it was the only place I called that had any wood available and I don't have space for more. And there are some dry pieces in there. I will try the compressed wood and pallets to see if I can get it to improve.

Should I try to get it burning really hot (for me this is around 330, maybe 400 if I can really watch the fire) and then slow the air? Or should I slow the air once I get a good fire going and let the internal temp slowly build?

The first thing that i would do is get a moisture meter ans open up a split and see exactly what the % is at and then we would be able to help better with recommendations

Got to get some good wood! It will make a significant difference :)

You can mix in 2x4 scraps if you have those laying around or access to any. No treated lumber though.

It ranges, I have some in the high teens, some in the high 20s and most in the 22-26 range.

It rained quite for 2 days before the delivery and the wood guys told me this was the reason for the high moisture inside the split. Seems like questionable information.

Seems like once I get good wood my problems will be solved without much effort. Thanks for the the info on 2x4s. I for some reason thought I couldn’t use those scraps

Thank you all for the help/advice!

T

330 -400F is cool for a steel stove. Normal cruising temp should be more like 5-600F. Given the wood supply be sure to inspect and clean the chimney more frequently. If you have already burned a cord of poorly seasoned wood I would have the chimney checked before burning scrap cutoffs or pallet wood. If the chimney is coated with creosote from the cool fires, the new, dry and hot wood could ignite it.