Need help with ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2599.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2602.JPG IMG_2605.JPG This was standing dead on my woodlot. Had many woodpecker and insect holes. Density is low even though it is pretty wet.

Attachments

• IMG_2606.JPG
    IMG_2606.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_2608.JPG
    IMG_2608.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 165
I am thinking some type of hickory, maybe pignut hickory. Bark doesn't seem furrowed enough for poplar but I do see how Fred is thinking poplar based on the heartwood. Maybe post more pics taken in daylight?

I'm going to say it's not Hickory. It's simply not stringy enough. It appears to be one of the softer hardwoods, like poplar.

+1 for poplar. Larger poplar would have deep furrowed bark like that.
+2 for poplar. Looks a lot like what I have. In my case I matched the bark up to a live tree and was able to confirm the ID:

Attachments

• Tree1.jpg
    Tree1.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Tree2.jpg
    Tree2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Tree3.jpg
    Tree3.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Tree4.jpg
    Tree4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Fred Wright
The wood sure resembles Pignut hickory....Bitternut and Pignut. around here split like a dream by hand and are not stringy at all, shagbark is a different story........but the growth rings are pretty wide / fast so I doubt it's hickory, tulip would be my guess as well.

Thanks for the responses. I'm going with Tulip poplar. It is way way too soft and light to be hickory. Splits really easily. I split about a cord in 2 hours.

I think it looks like Basswood. The bark doesn't look quite right for Tulip Poplar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.