Need help with Jotul 8 TDIC stove pipe size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cleansmoke

Feb 18, 2022
Eastern NC
Hello all
I’ve been searching for a woodstove for quite a while, finally found a nice Jotul 8 TDIC. I’m planning to replace the tin fireplace in our mobile home. Our house is moderately drafty but not too bad. I thought at first I would connect to the original stove pipe, but it’s the 8 inch inside/12 inch outside air cooled type and I’m not sure I want to go through the hassle of trying to adapt it. I’ll be running the stove pipe straight up through the roof, and and wondering what size pipe I need to use. The outlet on the stove is 7 inches. Can I use 6 inch insulated? How high do I need to go? It will be almost to the centerline of the roof, and 12 feet of chimney gets me about 4 feet above the roof peak.
Any and all help appreciated.
I can build fires but I’m a newbie to wood stoves. (Well, not completely as we had one when I was young, but that was 1982🙂)

If the draft is good then 6" may work ok. The Series 8 cat manual called for 6" on this stove.

The chimney pipe currently installed is not proper for a wood stove. A guess would be that it once connected a metal fireplace. The installation will need a stovepipe connector inside the room, transitioning at the ceiling support box to class A HT chimney pipe. If you have 12' of chimney and say 4' of stovepipe in the room then 6" will probably work. Running it straight up will definitely help. So will using double-wall stove pipe.

Reactions: monkfarm