Need help with my englander stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sushine617

Jan 9, 2023
Hey guys, I'm having a great stream of "good" luck!
So my englander pellet stove is giving me an issue. I just got done cleaning the stove to the best I can. The pipe I cleaned as well. I had to stop because my vacuum over heated but I tried restarting the stove and now the top auger motor is not spinning at all. (Bottom is spinning good) I've already replaced both motors and augers only 4 years ago. Got any suggestions?
I'm out with my daughter so I can give you the model number of the stove when I get home.

Also I noticed that the glass before I cleaned it had shiny soot? I'm assuming it's soot not fully sure but anyways it was shiny and was peeling off. Any ideas what that is as well?

Welcome...Model ? I would unplug the stove move the wires from the bottom motor to the top and see. Or make a hot wire cord with an old extension cord and power the upper motor direct and test..

New problem! I was able to help the top motor out by taking it out and giving it some wd 40 help.. was able to loosen it up and it was spinning freely. Now the new problem! I was trying to start up the stove went upstairs cane back down there is smoke in the pellet stove and pouring out of what I'm assuming is a vent hole in the front. I opened windows amd got the smoke out. Occasionally I noticed as it was shutting down it would be filled with smoke and make a popping noise to which smoke would be forced out of wherever it could find its way out. What is going on with this thing and how do I fix it.

Is your exhaust fan / motor coming on? Is your stove clean? I mean CLEAN. A leaf blower, as a vacuum on the end of the exhaust, does wonders. These stoves like to have a nice clean exhaust path. I would start there.

As for your original problem with the augers, its never a bad idea to swap them once a year to even the "workload."

Eric

Is your exhaust fan / motor coming on? Is your stove clean? I mean CLEAN. A leaf blower, as a vacuum on the end of the exhaust, does wonders. These stoves like to have a nice clean exhaust path. I would start there.

As for your original problem with the augers, its never a bad idea to swap them once a year to even the "workload."

Eric
The stove is in the basement and is a bit heavy to bring upstairs. Would I just put a leaf blower into the exhaust port and turn it on? Can I use an air compressor instead?

Exhaust fan and the other motor are coming on and working.

I cleaned it because there was a clean shiny soot inside the stove and on the glass but that was peeling off. Any idea what that is?

No do not use an air compressor.. In depth cleaning of stove may also solve your shiny soot problem..
Here,,, connect stove pipe to the Intake of leaf blower

No do not use an air compressor.. In depth cleaning of stove may also solve your shiny soot problem..
Here,,, connect stove pipe to the Intake of leaf blower

That is awesome! I don't have a leaf blower so I'll see if someone will let me borrow there's!