Need help with placement of wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

larryjbjr

Jan 24, 2017
WI
OK, below you will find a rough sketch of the floor plan of my house. While it is not exactly drawn to scale, I think it's pretty close.

The main portion of the house is two-story with three bedrooms upstairs, both the east and west wings of the house are single story. The living room is on the north side of the house. Due to the construction of the house the best place that I can think to put a wood stove is the north east corner of the living room. On the west wall of the living room are the stairs going up to the second floor. Basically one bedroom above the living room and two bedrooms above the kitchen. In the mudroom on the south side of the house are the stairs going down into the basement.

Now I'm sure that if I put my Englander 30 NC at that location it will keep my living room nice and toasty. I'm just hoping that it will also keep the dining room, kitchen, and maybe the bathroom fairly warm as well. The west bedroom is the master bedroom which I like to keep pretty cool anyhow so I'm not too concerned about that.

So if I were to put the stove in that location, please give me some expert advice on what the rest of the rooms in the house will be like. And do y'all think that that is a good location to put the stove?

PS: The East wing was the original house built a long time ago. Then they added the rest over the years. I just bought the house three years ago and I am not responsible for the wacky floor plan, etc.

b29ce8fc07374048d226cf03c7c0463b.jpg

OK, below you will find a rough sketch of the floor plan of my house. While it is not exactly drawn to scale, I think it's pretty close.

The main portion of the house is two-story with three bedrooms upstairs, both the east and west wings of the house are single story. The living room is on the north side of the house. Due to the construction of the house the best place that I can think to put a wood stove is the north east corner of the living room. On the west wall of the living room are the stairs going up to the second floor. Basically one bedroom above the living room and two bedrooms above the kitchen. In the mudroom on the south side of the house are the stairs going down into the basement.

Now I'm sure that if I put my Englander 30 NC at that location it will keep my living room nice and toasty. I'm just hoping that it will also keep the dining room, kitchen, and maybe the bathroom fairly warm as well. The west bedroom is the master bedroom which I like to keep pretty cool anyhow so I'm not too concerned about that.

So if I were to put the stove in that location, please give me some expert advice on what the rest of the rooms in the house will be like. And do y'all think that that is a good location to put the stove?

PS: The East wing was the original house built a long time ago. Then they added the rest over the years. I just bought the house three years ago and I am not responsible for the wacky floor plan, etc.

View attachment 199318

Well, you bought it so now you're responsible for it! ;lol

Seriously though, there is no way to tell how that location will work without full plans including elevation views, window placement, size and type, insulation levels, lot layout, etc. Since the house is a mish-mash of add-ons I'm sure detailed plans don't exist.

That said, I recommend putting the stove where it makes the most sense from other considerations. The room with the stove will obviously be the warmest and adjoining rooms will be cooler, the degree of cooler depending upon weather, weather-stripping, amounts of glass and levels of insulation, the natural convection paths, etc.

Don't overthink it, just put it where you want it and a good install is feasible.

Last edited:
I know I am probably overthinking it, but I don't want to do it and then regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Put in the area you use. It makes feeding it and keeping an eye on it easier.

Seems as good a spot as any . . . once in you can experiment a bit with a fan to see the best way to allow the heat to "circulate."

Is the stairway wall going up stairs open, or closed? Will make a huge difference in air flow. Also ceiling fan upstairs pushing down will help circulate rising heat.

A small $10 fan blowing from the bedroom to the stove area, will also help increase heat flow.

Get started on firewood, in case you haven't already !!

Stairway is not open.

I have some firewood. I think I have enough to get through this winter....

Stairway is not open.

I have some firewood. I think I have enough to get through this winter....
That's what I thought my first winter with a stove. I ran out the first week of December. Then I had to scrounge up wood anyway I could. Spent the rest of the season trying to burn wet wood. I always say don't stop collecting firewood until you can look at your stack and say, "I have too much firewood." Then you'll have enough.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
That's what I thought my first winter with a stove. I ran out the first week of December. Then I had to scrounge up wood anyway I could. Spent the rest of the season trying to burn wet wood. I always say don't stop collecting firewood until you can look at your stack and say, "I have too much firewood." Then you'll have enough.

That's what I thought last fall (that I had too much}. But that was before we had a relentless winter being hammered by snowstorm after snowstorm. By springtime I was picking through next year's wood to find the stuff that was dry enough to burn well.

A circular air flow should be possible by placing a standard 12" table fan on the DR floor, maybe just after the entry door, pointed toward the LR. Run it on low.