Need help with what to do when county says I need a permit but installer didn't get one and says one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Panhandler said:
The root of this problem might be that the local codes may require the installer to be a licensed contractor and perhaps the dealer is not. A few years ago in this county/city required all contractors to be licensed. This caused a lot of problems for businesses. A friend of mine went into business with another guy as he was grandfathered in and the tests and training to pass contractors test were kind of crazy. When I had my pool put in the pool dealer had been in business for decades in this city. I went to the city building to get a permit and found he was not licensed. There were a lot of heated words between city and pool dealer. They put in the pool on a Saturday behind a fence to skirt issues. Another example of city going crazy over permits to raise money. A friend of mine oowned a building. He put in a new furnace in his home and put his old one in his rental building. Six months later a tennent applied for a business permit for a furniture store and the inspector said"This furnace wasn't here last year when I was here" and red tagged the furnace and no business license. My friend had to go buy a $6 dollar permit so his tennant could get his business license.

I would assume he is licensed he does work in MD, NJ, PA as well as DE and is the Harman dealer for here. I think the permit is $50 + late fee, I was told the late fee is the cost of the permit. Just don't understand why he would not get it, I guess he thinks I will just go away and he won't have worry about it, now he is going to have to answer to the county and they most likely will go back on other installs. He told me he rarely gets permits to do installs. The person I talked to to file a complaint said even though he has to get the permit it still is my responsibility in the end. So my problem is it is my responsibility but I am not allowed to get the permit and I am not going to lie and say I did the work since that would take the contractor out of the loop and its all on me. If something is not right then I have to pay to have it fixed, or fix it myself. The vent pipe is leaking already and they want to charge me $75 to come out and look at it. They installed it and its leaking I would say that there is a problem with the install, this is the second time the vent pipe has leaked. This is also why I want it inspected so if they find a problem then the contractor will need to fix.

. If something is not right then I have to pay to have it fixed, or fix it myself. The vent pipe is leaking already and they want to charge me $75 to come out and look at it. They installed it and its leaking I would say that there is a problem with the install, this is the second time the vent pipe has leaked. This is also why I want it inspected so if they find a problem then the contractor will need to fix.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hold on, this guy installed the stove and wants to charge you to fix a leaking vent? For the second time? I would consider calling the manufacturer as they might want to know the kind of people that are selling, installing, and servicing their product. I don't think the manufacturer wants this type of publicity. This reflects on them and their product.

Panhandler said:
. If something is not right then I have to pay to have it fixed, or fix it myself. The vent pipe is leaking already and they want to charge me $75 to come out and look at it. They installed it and its leaking I would say that there is a problem with the install, this is the second time the vent pipe has leaked. This is also why I want it inspected so if they find a problem then the contractor will need to fix.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hold on, this guy installed the stove and wants to charge you to fix a leaking vent? For the second time? I would consider calling the manufacturer as they might want to know the kind of people that are selling, installing, and servicing their product. I don't think the manufacturer wants this type of publicity. This reflects on them and their product.

Not a bad idea, but what if the pipe company says that the installers are not "recommended" by them, and that have nothing to do with it. It doesn't seem to be their fault. I agree that they MAY not want bad publicity and try to help him get this resolved.

If the installer IS one that the pipe company recommends, THEN you'll have some leverage.

I think I'd call the pipe company and ask some questions.....they may try to help resolve this....it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.