Need Honeywell Comfort Control Valve Remote Control RT8220A For Vermont Castings Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RemotelessNHopeless

Oct 3, 2022
Durango, CO
I have an older model VC stove (DV580). This stove uses Honeywell Comfort Control valve system that was discontinued. I found some older threads about this issue on this forum. This stove uses the RT8220A remote control. I have attached a photo of it. It cannot be operated by a universal remote. All of the functions (thermostat, fan speed, flame height, etc.) require the remote control to use. Otherwise you have to do a complete conversion that looks like it will cost me around 1k. Has anyone found a workaround for this yet? Does anyone have one of these remotes laying around that they can sell me?

RT8220A.jpg

Send a message to member Fingerlakes Fireplace. He indicated in a previous post that he may have a couple of those remotes in his shop.

I have an older model VC stove (DV580). This stove uses Honeywell Comfort Control valve system that was discontinued. I found some older threads about this issue on this forum. This stove uses the RT8220A remote control. I have attached a photo of it. It cannot be operated by a universal remote. All of the functions (thermostat, fan speed, flame height, etc.) require the remote control to use. Otherwise you have to do a complete conversion that looks like it will cost me around 1k. Has anyone found a workaround for this yet? Does anyone have one of these remotes laying around that they can sell me?

View attachment 299854
I have one and just listed on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225209961980

I as well am looking for a honeywell rt 8220 remote. Or a way to figure out how to wire a wall thermostat. I cant find the model of the unit? I tried a plug in thermostat and it only worked with the fan.... reached a set temp and turned off....but not the flame...

I

View attachment 299854
have the DV 360 with a good valve but the controller went bad ( transmitter) went bad. Unit in fireplace is good. I still get good indication from gas valve. If you can’t replace your receiver/ gas unit, I’ll buy your transmitter if still working.

Would love to know what options we have...short of ripping the fireplace out of the walll
I have a kit that I sell that replaces the Honeywell gas valve. It includes a new gas valve and remote and all the controls.
From my point of view as a fireplace technician, I consider it very easy to install. However, it would probably be beyond the scope of most homeowners. A new pilot assembly has to be installed, and the placement is very crucial.
If you have a technician that can install it, I will be glad to send you the kit.

Reactions: Gassed insert
I have a kit that I sell that replaces the Honeywell gas valve. It includes a new gas valve and remote and all the controls.
From my point of view as a fireplace technician, I consider it very easy to install. However, it would probably be beyond the scope of most homeowners. A new pilot assembly has to be installed, and the placement is very crucial.
If you have a technician that can install it, I will be glad to send you the kit.
I am going through my Vermont Castings LHEC30RFN with the Honeywell Comfort Control gas valve right now. I would love to see your kit. Does it maintain all the functions? Flame, blower, temperature, etc. Maybe I should just update mine, its going on 20 years now

The kit that i sell has all the functions that your old system has, except the timer.
It also has a "smart" thermostat setting, where it modulates the flame height, based on the temperature difference of the set temp, and the room temp.

Reactions: Gassed insert
Fingerlakes Fireplace
I am interested.
BrianatBricemechanicaldotcom

Hi all, I had issues with my Vermont Castings Honeywell RF gas valve. The pilot would not stay lit. With the help of Fingerlake Fireplaces(Dalton) I was able to confirm that the pilot coil in the gas valve had gone bad. Looking at all the retrofit kits I decided that Fingerlakes Fireplace had earned my business solely by their willingness to help me troubleshoot (for free) my existing problems. Needless to say their customer service continues to amaze me and my fireplace insert is back up and running with all the original options I enjoyed.(6 flame settings, 6 blower settings, timer, temperature etc. Etc.)
For any DYI'er I highly recommend purchasing the retrofit kit that these guys sell, their customer service is over the top........