Need info on a Hearthstone stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerx

Dec 21, 2008
Maple Park,IL
I bought a 1983 model Hearthstone wood burning stove with a glass window with a screen over the glass,stove was used 3 times total,very nice peice,it has the thermostat wire dampneron the back,also has a damper on the top left hand corner,,and also has a vent on the right side of the stove thats connected to a long pipe with holes in it that runs thru the stove,what is the purpost of all these? Just installed it in my log cabin in Golconda IL,,I will post pictures of it after christmas,i will be spending time there along with my new stove,did a lot of stone work for looks,be sure to check out the pictures when i return..Thanks Guys,been learning on your site,you guys are great....

Guessing this is a Hearthstone II. Used only 3x in 25 years? Sounds... interesting. Gonna be a wood-hog, from what others say about those pre-EPA Hearthstones.

There's some really good old posts in the forum that speak to exactly what all 3 things are that you're wondering about above. Hopefully it comes up, or I'll look for it, too... The tube and vent are for a rudimentary attempt at having secondary airflow, iirc. the damper on the top left is just that - the primary damper. But I can't immediately recall what something thermostatically-controlled was for, unless it's a catalytic converter. in that case - hope you inspected the cat!

Edit: this isn't what I was thinking of, but it's a start: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Hearthstone_HI_and_HII/

good luck and keep us posted w/ your experiences. Lots of people buying secondhand HII's this year.

Thanks for the info,,it is a hearthstone II,,the back dampner is a old fasion type thermo,has a wire on it going down to the dampner,,ran the stove last time down south and it only gets a good flame with the door cracked open,any suggestions?Thanks

Not sure if you saw pages 7, 8, and 9 in the manual (link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/images/uploads/H-1-2manual.pdf) but it clearly details the purpose of each item. Sounds like you may have your primary intake lever either disconnected or mis-adjusted? or it's otherwise blocked? is it actually opening that trapdoor down on the back to let air in?

We occasionally run the Heritage w/ the door cracked open for a few minutes just to get a good flame spread on stubborn wood, when cold, etc. Usually once running and reloading on hot coals, no such action is needed for more than a few seconds...

What is your situation for wood? and chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.