Need new door but manufacturer went out of business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borgia

Jan 14, 2016
Patterson, ny
I have a Sequoyah OWB that was installed about 10 years ago. It's in good shape but the door has bent (i guess due to heat) in a V like manner. I don't know if I'm explaining this well but basically the door has a small V ish bend near the bottom. It will shut but will not seal due to this and air enters via the "high" part of the V bend. The high spot is raised to the level that I can just fit my smallish fingers in there. Anyways it allows enough air to get in to keep the fire stoked. I set the boiler at 175 degrees but it routines stayed at just over 200 and a significant amount of the water boiled off.

I searched google looking for a new door and saw the manufacturer went out of business. Again, the manufacturer is Sequoyah. Does anyone know how I could purchase a new door? Are the doors pretty much standard sizes or they differ from manufacturer to manufacturer? Am I screwed here?

I have a Sequoyah OWB that was installed about 10 years ago. It's in good shape but the door has bent (i guess due to heat) in a V like manner. I don't know if I'm explaining this well but basically the door has a small V ish bend near the bottom. It will shut but will not seal due to this and air enters via the "high" part of the V bend. The high spot is raised to the level that I can just fit my smallish fingers in there. Anyways it allows enough air to get in to keep the fire stoked. I set the boiler at 175 degrees but it routines stayed at just over 200 and a significant amount of the water boiled off.

I searched google looking for a new door and saw the manufacturer went out of business. Again, the manufacturer is Sequoyah. Does anyone know how I could purchase a new door? Are the doors pretty much standard sizes or they differ from manufacturer to manufacturer? Am I screwed here?

I don't think you'll find any standardization on the loading doors between different OWB manufacturers. IMHO your best bet is to take your existing door to a local metal fabrication shop and have them make you a new one. We rely on one where I work for replacing equipment parts that are no longer available / long lead time / overpriced and they save our butts on a weekly basis.

Ya. A door can't possibly be that difficult to reproduce. We made some funky stuff in a high precision machine, sheet metal and welding shop.

I agree with what they said, Sequoyah is long gone, a local fab shop is your best bet.