Need small stove (on hearth) advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wahoo

Oct 20, 2017
Richmond VA
First post, so please be gentle!
I just purchased a small (<1100 sf) single story house, a brick veneer rectangle built in 1975 in Richmond Va.
It has a heat pump with electric supplement in colder temps. It has a brick fireplace, which looks like "standard" condition to the untrained eye. I paid a local chimney company $200 to inspect, and they want to do cap/crown re-cement, and other minor re-mortar here and there....$3300 estimate. Seemed surprisingly high, so I'm exploring options (including forgetting about using the fireplace at all). I'll do the re-crown myself.
I'd consider a small coal stove like a chubby or jr chubby, but no anthracite near me.
I'd consider pellets, but would like a power-failure heater.
I'd consider inserts, but would like the lower price and more heat from a freestander.
So now I'm on to seeking a rear-flue freestander that is shallow enough in depth to fit on a raised hearth of 17 inches. I don't remember exactly how tall the hearth is off the wood floor, but let's say 15 inches.
Fireplace rectangle opening is 38w x 28h, with 38 from rear of fireplace to front edge of hearth, and the hearth itself extends 17 in front of the front face of the fireplace.
Suggestions for an on-the-hearth, rear-flue, free-standing wood stove?

Last edited:
Could be a challenge. There are some inserts in the $1000 range that may be an easier solution.

Look into jotul F-3 CB I'm thinking of buying it myself. Also some times it looks good even having free standing stove poking out of the fireplace opening just read a lot about clearances because there is a lot to learn about a true protected wall. A lot! Lol good luck