Need softwoods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillersnut

Sep 14, 2009
south central pa.
I can't complain about my pellet choices here in central Pa. I am surrounded by numerous hardwood choices, but have been on a quest for softwood pellets. Does anyone have info on softwood pellets in central Pa? Please share, hell, I'll even trade. I read about softies all winter long from the pellet heads to the North, it's a real tease! I must burn some this winter, I may even drive North to get a half ton or so.

Sorry were not gonna share! :p just kidding.

You certainly have a good selection and the prices seem better than what we are paying. I think the softy mills can't compete with the mills in your area. Besides the stuff we rave about is usually the BC softwoods. And maybe the Vermont, plus the MWP softies. They all would need to be trucked to your location and that will probably raise the price.

Where you might find a decent softwood is at the grain-feed stores. Look for horse bedding. A couple a bags will give you a feel for what a decent softwood would be like. Still might be a tad off what the BC softwoods would be like but close. Prolly gonna be expensive for ya. Bedding pellets are like $6 plus a bag near me.

I'm 40 min north of Philly and nothing here. I did find a place in jersey at one point selling Okies for 309 a ton.

Yeah are prices are great, Turmans 215, Hammers 230, box stores 219 etc. I've thought about throwing some horse bedding pellets in the hopper, too pricey.
Sorry were not gonna share! :p just kidding.

You certainly have a good selection and the prices seem better than what we are paying. I think the softy mills can't compete with the mills in your area. Besides the stuff we rave about is usually the BC softwoods. And maybe the Vermont, plus the MWP softies. They all would need to be trucked to your location and that will probably raise the price.

Where you might find a decent softwood is at the grain-feed stores. Look for horse bedding. A couple a bags will give you a feel for what a decent softwood would be like. Still might be a tad off what the BC softwoods would be like but close. Prolly gonna be expensive for ya. Bedding pellets are like $6 plus a bag near me.

Yeah are prices are great, Turmans 215, Hammers 230, box stores 219 etc. I've thought about throwing some horse bedding pellets in the hopper, too pricey.
Oh that hurts! <> Don't think I'll ever be the same. o_O Only thing we compete is the box store price. I bet you even have better stuff too! :mad:

I need a beer! :(

Reactions: Augmister
Oh that hurts! <> Don't think I'll ever be the same. o_O Only thing we compete is the box store price. I bet you even have better stuff too! :mad:

I need a beer! :(
Lowes-Pres to logs, Cheat Rivers-219
Home Depot-Stove Chow-219
TSC-There Own(mystery, brown bag)&Pure Fire(Dry Creek)-225
Omalley, Energex & Wood Pellet Co, can be had from 209-220. I paid 230 for one of my favs, Pennwood.

Omalley, Energex & Wood Pellet Co, can be had from 209-220. I paid 230 for one of my favs, Pennwood.
This is not a good day! Errrr.

Wanna trade for some softies? ::-)

Wou
This is not a good day! Errrr.

Wanna trade for some softies? ::-)
would love to, if I was heading that far North, I'd be glad to bring a load of hardwood fuel, especially the Pennwoods. They're made 30miles from me, using only they're own waste. Mostly oak & cherry, damn things burn hot. Would love to donate a few for you to test.

Wou
would love to, if I was heading that far North, I'd be glad to bring a load of hardwood fuel, especially the Pennwoods. They're made 30miles from me, using only they're own waste. Mostly oak & cherry, damn things burn hot. Would love to donate a few for you to test.
I have heard you and some others rant about them. I'd love to try them. I had a bud of mine look for em while he was out in PA over the summer. He couldn't find any. :(

I get to see em someday, Sooner or later I hope?

Now I know where the good box store pellets are! HD has loaded up with Green Ureen and my Lowes just got 22 tons of Nation's "Chance"... crap and garbage.
Ah Cheat River (never had the pleasure) and my fav, Stove Chow.....gonna be a long, lonely winter in the NE.

Reactions: jtakeman
Now I know where the good box store pellets are! HD has loaded up with Green Ureen and my Lowes just got 22 tons of Nation's "Chance"... crap and garbage.
Ah Cheat River (never had the pleasure) and my fav, Stove Chow.....gonna be a long, lonely winter in the NE.
Sad isn't it! I'd even consider a road trip, But the gas prices would kill the deal. Might have to bring the pellet hauler next time we vaca in PA! Or at least throw 20 some odd bags in the truck! Still prolly cheaper to just buy some stuff from the pellet house and boycott the boxstore. Luckily I got some MWP/Premiers from TSC. Was hopping cheat river and Pennwood to show up here sooner that later!

Green "Ureen" and Nations "Chance" hehe Gave me a chuckle!

We picked up 25 bags of AWF Ultra Premiums (softwood) back in August from Millstone Farm & Garden Center in Columbiana, OH. At that time they were $234/ton or $4.79/bag on a pre-season sale. We've burned a bag.... love the smell of pine outside! No idea what they cost not on sale...... They're about an hour's drive from us (we're in Beaver Co., PA).

Let's go Bucs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.