Need some advice on where to run chimney for new basement woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcims

Nov 18, 2008
Midwest
Hi Folks,

We're planning a finished basement and will be installing a wood stove. At the moment, i'm trying to figure out the best way to run the chimney. We have a prefab chimney installed for a fireplace on the first floor, and ideally i would like to be able to use some of that structure to support the new one.

Here are a few shots of the location we're planning for the wood stove. In the first shot from the basement, you can see the floor joists that extend out to the cantilevered chimney base (obviously we'll be moving some of the wiring and heating ducts).

dsc0044wx0.jpg

Here is the outside of the home from the other side of the wall ( i was basically standing between the window and the tree you can see in the first pic)

dsc0046vj9.jpg

dsc0047en0.jpg

My basic question is whether or not i can either squeeze the new chimney into the existing frame or just extend the existing frame to wrap the new one. My other question is whether or not having two chimneys this close together would cause any problem. I'm assuming i can't 'Y' the chimneys together to reuse the same stack to the roof...correct?

Thanks folks!

Yes you can not Y the chimneys. As for space in the chase you need to see whats in there. If you can keep a 2" space all around the new pipe i see no reason you can not use the current chase. If not you could go right up the side of it and box it in to match the current chase. For a neat setup you could take the chase apart and rebuild it to encompass the new pipe. That would look best for the aesthetic look of the home.

Of course if you want superior draft and less creosote straight up through the house is best.

Thanks for the reply snowtime...your suggestion to pull the chase apart is what i was considering. I would put the chimney up through the house but that end of the house is very open and i'm having difficulty figuring out where i could run it without creating some kind of odd column in the middle of the room.

Thanks again!

Every appliance MUST have is own vent. You cannot "Y" the vents for the products for THAT reason & the fact that you're going to have a Class A chimney system on the woodstove & you don't have Class A on your ZC fireplace...
They're not compatible...
If you can fit the Class A into your existing chase, your best bet - IMHO - would be to core thru your foundation for the thimble & then put your cleanout tee BELOW your chase...
Otherwise, you'll prolly hafta extend the chase on BOTH sides so it maintains the spacing to your windows...
If you keep the thimble low enuff in the basement (i.e. top of your connector 18" below the ceiling) you won't hafta worry about the duct work & wiring...
Nice looking home, BTW! :)

Hi DAKSY, thanks for the reply.

I'm still working on my terminology...haha. Is the thimble that bushing like thing that supports the pipe through the wall? And by having the clean out tee below the chase, do you mean have that on the outside, so it goes up from stove, to a 90 and through the thimble, out the exterior wall to the clean out tee and then up the chase? Is there a minimum amount of rise i should have on the inside of the home before i go through the wall? (E.g. 5' up then out?)

Thanks again!!!

Hey, jcims,

<>I'm still working on my terminology...haha. Is the thimble that bushing like thing that supports the pipe through the wall?<>

Yep.

<>And by having the clean out tee below the chase, do you mean have that on the outside,<>

Yep.

<>so it goes up from stove, to a 90 and through the thimble, out the exterior wall to the clean out tee and then up the chase?
Is there a minimum amount of rise i should have on the inside of the home before i go through the wall?<>

If your stove has a vertical flue collar, follow the manufacturer's guidelines.
If it's got a horizontal flue collar, you should be able to go straight off the back of the stove - thru the wall thimble - to the tee - then vertically to the cap...

Good luck with your install!

Awesome! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.