Need some chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I've been having issues with my the Jotul running awfully hot (for a few reasons, I think). My installed damper was floppy, so I went to inspect it today. While in there I ran into a few problems (in addition to a broken damper).
1. My liner adapter wasn't seated fully. When I did seat it correctly, I'm now 1" short on my liner length. There is pour in insulation in there, and the liner won't budge. After much wrangling, I think that the best solution is to buy some stove pipe and cut it to size (see pic). Any better solution? It would be nice if I could get a liner adapter that was an inch longer, but I don't know if that exists...
2. When I poured in the insulation, I don't think all of it was wet enough, especially at the bottom. I've had a slow leak since I put it in. Messing with the liner today didn't help things. Looking up, there appears to be maybe 5' of uninsulated liner now (maybe more, tough to tell). I was going to fill the void from the bottom with Roxul if that's acceptable. The main reason is just to keep the liner from coming in direct contact with the masonry.

Need some chimney help

I would take a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal, 2" x 20" or so. Roll it so you have a piece of stove pipe 2" long. Slip it in and reconnect the stove.

16ga?? That is very heavy. 24ga would be fine. 22ga even better. I'd probably just get a 6" piece of 24 ga stove pipe and trim it.

OK, yes. I am used to working with heavier stuff.

I don't think any of those would work (maybe the coupler, though I don't know it would add enough length). The other items are what I already had. Any way, I ended up just buying some stove pipe and cutting to length. Bought some roxul which I used MAYBE 1/2 batt to fill in the chimney void (not as much there as I thought). All hooked up, but still running super hot. Running out of ideas here, but that's a different thread. Hmm, can't find the pics. Will upload soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.