Need some experienced opinions on poison ivy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
Hey all. Loaded the wood rack up last night in prep for the artic blast. Last log had a tiny little vine on it.......suddenly remembered this pile had ivy growing around it. Not all of the rounds were even touched and it wasn't like they were covered either, just some growth around the first couple rounds at the base of the stack. I removed the ivy when I split them in August to put in the shed (stuff was dead standing and already bone dry) and ivy only grew where it was stacked, not on the original tree. I will be sure to clean off any other small bits and I can't see any on the other ones. Question is - safe to burn? I keep a tidy process, and will be efficient when reloading so if any oil is on one, ignition will be confined inside the stove. Still kind of concerned though, wife is pregnant and we don't need any issues. I am immune to it, but wife and kids get, but not severely.
Or am I worrying too much?

I wouldn't mess around with burning PI. The oil can get into the smoke and cause very serious reactions. In a wood stove, especially a modern one in which smoke is burned away, I doubt the oil would survive long enough to escape the chimney, but I still wouldn't mess with it.

Reactions: wildbill7145
Don't burn the ivy itself, but if your splits have a few remnants of hair on it you should be ok.

Don't burn the ivy itself, but if your splits have a few remnants of hair on it you should be ok.
Right agree with others not to burn actual ivy, but like said I removed any remnant. Only a few random hairs may be left.

Vine has poison too. A friend burning outside got a bad case in his throat and nose inhaling smoke.
I would not burn it with vine on it. The hairs are usually on the vines. Grape vine has very hairy vines. It's harmless to burn.

I agree with everyone who says don't burn the vines. I think you will be perfectly fine burning wood that you removed the vines from in august. Congratulations on the coming baby!

Nice work!!
Both at the woodrack and in the bedroom.
I pull the vines and cook the rest. So far all is good. No homes nearby.
I'm not immune, but only get a few spots, and use blue Dawn to break up the oils immediately.
Same with the family.

A special congratulations to Missus Woodsman for the construction project underway!
From one Believer to another, yep, it's a God-thAng !!

"Tween me n' mama we have 6 kids. No reversals here! LOL
Starting fostering tho. That's a God thing too "taking care of the widow and the orphan".

Last edited:
Nice work!!
Both at the woodrack and in the bedroom.
I pull the vines and cook the rest. So far all is good. No homes nearby.
I'm not immune, but only get a few spots, and use blue Dawn to break up the oils immediately.
Same with the family.

A special congratulations to Missus Woodsman for the construction project underway!
From one Believer to another, yep, it's a God-thAng !!

"Tween me n' mama we have 6 kids. No reversals here! LOL
Starting fostering tho. That's a God thing too "taking care of the widow and the orphan".

Thanks! We feel very blessed. We had 3, felt we were done(me more than her)/got the procedure, 2 years later she said "we need to talk", and God opened doors. The last couple years have been tough, but surprising everyone this Christmas will be a special joy. Way to go with the fostering and showing Christ's love to them, many blessings.
As far as the wood goes, I am the only one loading it. I am inspecting it before it gets in the house making sure nothing is on it and being super efficient in getting it in and closing the door. No houses around us and wind blows away from everywhere we would be outside. I only have a small amount left outside, so I may just toss that back into the woods. Thanks for all the input.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Thanks! We feel very blessed. We had 3, felt we were done(me more than her)/got the procedure, 2 years later she said "we need to talk", and God opened doors. The last couple years have been tough, but surprising everyone this Christmas will be a special joy. Way to go with the fostering and showing Christ's love to them, many blessings.
As far as the wood goes, I am the only one loading it. I am inspecting it before it gets in the house making sure nothing is on it and being super efficient in getting it in and closing the door. No houses around us and wind blows away from everywhere we would be outside. I only have a small amount left outside, so I may just toss that back into the woods. Thanks for all the input.
I'm with you ! On both accounts. Use your gloves get it in the stove you should be fine. I also have a 20 year old miracle child!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Handling the wood the way you are, you should be fine. Washing with yellow dial also works (has to be yellow dial....something to do with the dye). We always keep Technu & Ivarest on hand just in case.
Congrats on the new one...kids are a blessing indeed. Had a doctor tell us we would not have any more children after our first, and we are expecting #6! Congrats again!

Hey all. Loaded the wood rack up last night in prep for the artic blast. Last log had a tiny little vine on it.......suddenly remembered this pile had ivy growing around it. Not all of the rounds were even touched and it wasn't like they were covered either, just some growth around the first couple rounds at the base of the stack. I removed the ivy when I split them in August to put in the shed (stuff was dead standing and already bone dry) and ivy only grew where it was stacked, not on the original tree. I will be sure to clean off any other small bits and I can't see any on the other ones. Question is - safe to burn? I keep a tidy process, and will be efficient when reloading so if any oil is on one, ignition will be confined inside the stove. Still kind of concerned though, wife is pregnant and we don't need any issues. I am immune to it, but wife and kids get, but not severely.
Or am I worrying too much?

My 2 cents...worth at least $2. You can be immune all your life...until one day you aren't. From that point forward you are no longer immune. Say what?
I don't know why it can happen, perhaps a lowering of the immune system as you age? I ran my first chainsaw in the 60's and have had one in one hand or the other from the Mexican border to the Arctic Circle...even over to Japan. I made it into my 60's before I got a major dose. Now, thinking about it can make me 'break into a rash' (sic).
Old hunting lore...Many a hunter has complained how they get a case of Poison Oak/Ivy every hunting season. Once they think to properly wash their Hunting jacket...AND...the shoelaces in their hunting boots, they're miraculously 'cured'...sorta.

I agree with Scotty ... I never had an issue with poison ivy for many years ... at one car accident I responded to my wife, our assistant chief and I were smack dab in the middle of poison ivy and while they ended up with a bad rash I escaped unaffected. This immunity ended a few years ago however when I inadvertently walked into a patch of ivy ... thought it would not be that big a deal due to my immunity ... I was wrong.

Congrats on the new one...kids are a blessing indeed. Had a doctor tell us we would not have any more children after our first, and we are expecting #6! Congrats again!
Thanks! Congrats to you as well. My youngest is 6 so there will be a bit of a gap, but we are a close family and the kids have no problem including young ones. The wife has already mentioned possibly #5, which would be great, but she's several years younger than me and I'm not getting any younger at 35. It's not the years, but the mileage, right? LOL.

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Thanks! Congrats to you as well. My youngest is 6 so there will be a bit of a gap, but we are a close family and the kids have no problem including young ones. The wife has already mentioned possibly #5, which would be great, but she's several years younger than me and I'm not getting any younger at 35. It's not the years, but the mileage, right? LOL.

As a mid 40ish Dad to be...yep...the years do not matter, and while mileage may vary...the kiddos keep you young. :)
Came home from work to some kids doing Mad Libs and the others in an all out light saber duel. Crazy, loud, but wouldn't trade it for the world.
My Dad always said that you don't get old because you can't play anymore, you get old because you stop playing...

As a mid 40ish Dad to be...yep...the years do not matter, and while mileage may vary...the kiddos keep you young. :)
Came home from work to some kids doing Mad Libs and the others in an all out light saber duel. Crazy, loud, but wouldn't trade it for the world.
My Dad always said that you don't get old because you can't play anymore, you get old because you stop playing...
Amen!

Reactions: HisTreeNut
In a modern air tight stove the oils in those little hairs won't be an issue at all, I've done it myself. My cutting grounds are loaded with PI, which is why I cut late fall/winter. My daughter is highly allergic and lays right in front of the stove, zero issues. She's even loaded wood that I later realized was a batch with the hairs on it, I don't think they carry much oil. I can certainly see where a bonfire would be different though. Conflagrations to you and your wife as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.