Need some help ID'ing please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinPiney

Feeling the Heat
Nov 25, 2008
In the Pines, NJ
My friend got his hands on some huge trees last week and hauled em to my place for firewood/lumber. We've got a couple big cherry's, couple black walnuts, and two that we just can't tell what they are. Before they get hacked into firewood lengths i figured i'd ask here. Thanks in advance!

1st Tree
trees001.jpg

trees002.jpg

2nd Tree
trees003.jpg

trees004.jpg

And my firewood watch dog!
trees005.jpg

Sure looks like cottonwood to me

Cottonwood is a good guess. If so, I wouldn't bother. A lot of ash, not a lot of BTU's.

Looks like Elm to me.

Yall think the first one is elm? Someone told me it might be buttonwood..

SmokinPiney said:

I'll eat both trees if they're not elm and pine.
Buttonwood,,,,,,,,,, hmmmm,,,, thats a new one!

Blah Ho Vick said:
SmokinPiney said:

I'll eat both trees if they're not elm and pine.
Buttonwood,,,,,,,,,, hmmmm,,,, thats a new one!
fair enough! "must of herd buttonwood for cottonwood" anytime your ready to eat something I know your sure!
When did you change your avatar? (good looking dog)

First tree is elm

Second is cottonwood...since you have it burn it. It will keep you warm.

Woops! Meant to say butternut. Don't know how i came up with buttonwood :lol:

So we're gonna say the 1st is elm and the 2nd is cottonwood?? It really doesn't seem like a pine to me. Looks and feels more like a hardwood.

And cheyenne's my woodsplittin buddy. She helps me carry firewood. Usually she just runs off with it and plays but sometimes she'll follow me right downstairs and drop it.

Too yellow for cottonwood.
Broken fiber, not pulled in hinge wood. That big of a hinge on a cottonwood wood have produced enough tooth picks to last the average person 4 lifetimes.
Red inner bark.
No distinct heart.

Yep it's pine!

Now I see the pine .. Even though the bark in spots makes me think not. Too many lefts and rights w/intersecting patterns in spots. Make any sense to anyone besides me? Guess I might have to take a walk out back tomorrow to refresh my memory. It has been a few years since I have cut any pine.

Ncountry said:
Now I see the pine .. Even though the bark in spots makes me think not. Too many lefts and rights w/intersecting patterns in spots. Make any sense to anyone besides me? Guess I might have to take a walk out back tomorrow to refresh my memory. It has been a few years since I have cut any pine.

BIG Eastern White pine has knarly bark like that. The younger stuff is often times smoother.

Now that you pointed out the red inner bark and no distinct heart i can see why you'd say it's pine. Oh well, one log outta 8-10 aint too bad. Thanks for the info!

Well we did some more splittin today and the guy who limbed the trees came over to help out. Said for sure that the second one is not a pine. It had normal hardwood branches with some sort of weird bulbs on them. It didn't have needles. We cut a big slab off the endto see if it had any distinct grain and or heartwood. And it definately is some neat lookin wood. I'll post a pic in a few minutes. Now im really confused..

And boy does that elm stink when it's split! Some of the splits smelled like deer urine. (if you hunt ya know what that smells like haha)

Also, i've been reading how hard elm is to split. Didn't seem to split to bad for us?

Here's a pic from my cell. Sorry it aint great quality but it sure shows a distinct heart.
trees.jpg

I wish i could tell ya. He just said that it definately wasnt a pine and it had weird bulbs on the branches. No needles..

Hate to bring this back up again but after lookin at a few photos of elm trees and even some elm splits im not so sure the first tree is elm. This is a split from it between red oak and cherry. It has a VERY distinct, strong smell to it!

trees008.jpg

And sure splits nice and easy with a 30ton splitter. The other tree i didn't take a photo of, is one tough SOB to split! The grain can't make up it's mind where it wants to go. Im guessin it's gum or maybe it's an elm??

I would not be surprised if the suspect is indeed Butternut...

Dont worry you wont have to eat the first one. It's definately not a gum, but we still have no clue what it is (the center split in the photo). I'll take a photo of the other tree (that i believe to be a gum) tomorrow.

But this smelly, brown/white grain, heavy wood is boggling our minds. We just want to make sure it isn't worth cutting it into lumber before we go splittin it all up.

Just so we're all on the same page here,

This split..... (center)
trees008.jpg

Came from this tree
trees001.jpg

trees002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.