Need some help! Where to put new Englander 13??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Well after the sub freezing temps we had a couple of weeks ago it came painfully obvious that once it get below -10° its hard to heat my house with just the Englander 30.

I blame it on the house and certainly not the stove!

My ranch house is 60 years old, 2020sq ft with no wall insulation and I'm on the South West side of a very windy lake.

So I saw a brand new Englander 13, local on Ebay for about half price so I snatched it up!

I'm thinking that if I lost electrical power that I will be able to heat my house under any condition Mother Nature throws at me?

Also during the shoulder season I can use the 13 instead of the 30 to take the chill out of the air.

To the placement of the stove.....

I'm thing about putting it behind my 30 on the backside of the fireplace?

Fireplace is in the middle of the house. (see outside pic)

Is this a good idea?

I'm considering the purchase of a hearth pad and then going straight up through the drywall ceiling with double or triple walled stainless 6" pipe.

What do you guys think?

The other option I was considering was to place it in my den so I could run an OAK easier!

Thank you,Hiram

http://i42.tinypic.com/f0nc0h.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2943ors.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2d7bw8z.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/289g0nm.jpg

I don't see why that area wouldn't work. One thing to keep in mind without knowing your house plan, is that you will have one HECK of amount of fire power (he,he thats funny) in one spot.

Pro that I can see is that you would have one spot for firewood instead of two.

Would it make more sense to even out the heating by spacing the heaters farther apart? Do you see a problem with massive heat coming from one area?

CZARCAR said:
wonder how much heat that mass of brix absorbs & transfer to the cold above. brix=r1/ft?

In all honesty I don't think a heck of a lot.

The reason I say that is because the sandstone/limestone what ever it is stops at the top of the ceiling. Above the drywall its cinder-block in the attic, then above the roof line its sandstone/limestone again.

The stone above the 30 doesn't get all that warm above the block off plate!

Jags said:
Would it make more sense to even out the heating by spacing the heaters farther apart? Do you see a problem with massive heat coming from one area?

I would have to place the stove in a bedroom or the den because there really is no room in a hallway.
But the Fire power (I like it) would be centrally located as these are the 2 largest rooms in the home.

I was hoping that more folks, that have more than one stove would chime in with opinions and comments.

I dunno where to put stove...but your fall colors are beautimous and view out the back is superb!

Hiram Maxim said:
I would have to place the stove in a bedroom or the den because there really is no room in a hallway.
But the Fire power (I like it) would be centrally located as these are the 2 largest rooms in the home.

I was hoping that more folks, that have more than one stove would chime in with opinions and comments.

Well, according to the rules, the bedroom is a no-no. So it looks like you are restricted to the den or your original idea. Being that you are in the most open part of the home, I would have to vote for there.

Jags said:
Hiram Maxim said:

Well, according to the rules, the bedroom is a no-no. So it looks like you are restricted to the den or your original idea. Being that you are in the most open part of the home, I would have to vote for there.

Good looking out!
Believe me I have read the Englander manual front to back to many times to count. LOL
I don't use the bedroom I'm speaking about. (its currently closed for the winter)
Of course, I would install it in the bedroom and with my luck a friend would call and say "I'm Coming to visit for a month"
But I think your right on money with the central location.

Thank you,Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.