Need some help with a 1979 Garrison Wood Burning Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeK

Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
Long Island, New York
I picked up a 1979 Garrison Wood Burning Stove for free some time ago. I am attempting to set this stove up in my garage to hopefully provide enough heat to let me work on my bikes and hot rod during the cold new york winters. As I understand it the Garrison Stove company has been out of business for quite some time. I would love to get ahold of a owners manual for this stove. the serial number on it is "A97 16687 B" It is a double door stove with an 8" rear exit. It used to have triple wall vent pipe for the chimney and I need to know if it was necessary "or recommended by the manufacturer" to use triple wall pipe to increase the draft or was the previous owner getting overkill with that pipe. I was quoted a price for double wall pipe but don't want to waste my $$ on that system if it will not get the job done. I would also like to know if there is any possibility of finding a new set of door gaskets as they are getting a little beat. If anyone has any information on Garrison Stove's or knows where I might find some information/parts for it .......that info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Joe Kiessel
Long Island, NY

Type Garrison in at:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/sitesearch/

and you will get a bunch of various info that is located on this site.

Note: woodstoves are not allowed to be installed in residential garages:
NFPA 211
Chapter 9 Solid Fuel- Burning Appliances
9-2.3
Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flamable vapors or gasses are likely present
9-2.4
Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any residential garage
------------------
Double wall chimney, rated to HT 103 (UL) is the same as triple wall in terms of the rated use. So either is OK, as long as it is stainless steel CHIMNEY (not stove pipe or connector)......

Craig,

Thanks for the info. I will look into all of these links and see if I can edjucate myself a bit. Although I am not so happy to hear that I legally should not be doing this in the first place . In my personal opinion I can't imagine how an inclosed wood fire could be any more risky then a kerosene buring blast heater in a garage....but then again Idon't make the laws.

Joe

Yeah, some of it does not seem to make sense, but I think the diff is between something INSTALLED and something used. A wood stove cannot turn off when you leave. So a lot of codes pertain to stuff that is semi-permanent, because - as we all know - the next house buyer may have decide they want to burn their trash and plastic in there, and the next one goes onto his rags, etc.

While your stove may not burn your house down, the powers that be have decided that the odds are increased....and codes also protect you (through your insurance) and your mortgage holder!

I hear ya....It does make sense about not being able to turn it off........looks like i'll have to keep the flamable juice on the other side of the garage and hope for the best. :)

Thanks for the info so far......looks like one of the links is a photo of the exact stove I am working with. Do you have any personal experience with these stoves?

The reason I asked if I should go with the triple wall pipe was because I do not know if this type of stove needs any help in the draft area. Iam doing a through the wall install and that has 3 - 90 degree bends in the system. From what I have read that is the max you should use. I just want to make sure if I use the stove that it works properly. The expert I spoke to in our area said that the only reason he would use triple wall pipe was to increase the draft. HOw do you feel about that theory?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.