Need some help with having fireplace converted to gas log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave46

Oct 1, 2014
Indiana
I'm new to this and could really use your help. I have a large add on family room that has no heat ducts, there is a corner wood burning fireplace with a small Majestic insert in it. The insert is small H 23 1/2" W 35" D 19" with a steel flue. The area around the fireplace is covered in fake brick (Z brick). A local company in town that sells ventless gas logs came out Monday and removed the insert. The firebox is in great shape and has a knockout on the side for a gas line. He doesn't have a insert to fit the small opening , so he wants to convert the box to gas logs. My concern is he isn't sure if he can run the gas line to hit the current knock out on the side, and said he might have to run in to the front of the fireplace or possible drill through the bottom of the firebox (bottom of the box is masonry). The room is by no means air tight and the unit is for occasional heat. Please give me your thoughts on this safety etc. I have attached a picture of my fireplace. He would also cap the flue. I originally had another place come out and looked at my set up, without pulling out the insert he suggested a direct vent gas log insert w/remote but his price was about $4300, does this price sound reasonable? I know there is a lot of dislike on here for the ventless, I realize the best way to go would be the direct vent , just based on my description of what I have does anyone see any safety issues if I do get the direct vent? And thoughts on the quoted price. Thanks

Snapshot_20140925_1.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.