need something for in law apt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcouture29

Aug 11, 2009
Midcoast maine
I'm building an in law above my garage 24x28. It'll be mostly used in the summer but will be used on an occasional weekend during winter.

I've been looking around for a source of heat that can accomodate my needs. I'm looking at everything except oil.

Preferably, I'd like something that could keep the place at 45-50 degrees during the time it's not in use, so I'd like something that I could set a thermostat low. I think propane might be my best option but don't really know what to buy. Looking for any advice.

What you need will depend on how much insulation you're gonna have in the walls & ceilings. If it's well insulated, you can get by with a relatively small unit. If you buy a larger one, it won't be a problem to turn it down, but it will have the added "oomph" to heat you when it's frigid outside. I have a 26 x 26 garage with a studio above it & although I installed a stove in one of the bays & built an insulated wall between them, it still has a concrete floor.
I put in a Jotul GF600 Firelight (40K BTU input) & it did the job very well. I had it controlled with a Skytech 3301 remote thermostat so it could be turned down when the occupants were at work.

Are you going to have domestic hot water in the apt? If so maybe a small high efficiency boiler with domestic hot feed. I'm guessing propane if nat gas isn't an option.

Tbuff. I'm getting domestic off the oil boiler in the house. I don't want to do baseboards because I'm not interested in keeping the temps at a constant 50+ temp. Propane is an option and is where i'm leaning.

I know it's not a popular option, but if he apt is well insulated, electric baseboard would probably cost less to install and run then some other options. If you plan to put A/c in the apt, have you considered a heat pump with electric aux heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.