Need suggestions for chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Quakerfan

Jan 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Started breaking out the fireplace to install woodstove 8" rear flue. I have a good 12" space now, and I can almost stand up inside. Measured 7x9 clay tile, exterior chimney, bends slightly, extends well beyond the roofline, cap is hard to reach using 35ft ladder.
I planned for insulated, flexible, heavy duty liner 8" ...now I'm not so sure, so please advise me.

20171031_213056.jpg 20171031_212921.jpg 20171031_213326.jpg 20171031_203635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there are those that will jump on me for this, but Quadrafire lists this as a recommenced install, so I feel safe recommending it, plus I did it for years on my own install. I would run an insulated flex pipe long enough to get into the clay tile, sort of a modified "slammer' install. When you clean your chimney, or have it cleaned, you'll need to pull your stove and flex liner. Never had a problem with that install method. Plus is saves you from having to clean a 35' flex liner which can be a PIA.

What stove is planned for this installation?

I'm sure there are those that will jump on me for this, but Quadrafire lists this as a recommenced install, so I feel safe recommending it, plus I did it for years on my own install. I would run an insulated flex pipe long enough to get into the clay tile, sort of a modified "slammer' install. When you clean your chimney, or have it cleaned, you'll need to pull your stove and flex liner. Never had a problem with that install method. Plus is saves you from having to clean a 35' flex liner which can be a PIA.
That is called a direct connect and it is still to code if you have a block off plate and a positive connection to the flue but it is far from ideal. And why would you say 35' of flex would be hard to clean. It is much easier to clean than 35' of clay.

Reactions: aussiedog3
Started breaking out the fireplace to install woodstove 8" rear flue. I have a good 12" space now, and I can almost stand up inside. Measured 7x9 clay tile, exterior chimney, bends slightly, extends well beyond the roofline, cap is hard to reach using 35ft ladder.
I planned for insulated, flexible, heavy duty liner 8" ...now I'm not so sure, so please advise me.

View attachment 202128 View attachment 202129 View attachment 202130 View attachment 202131
I would say you will have to go with oval or rectangle.

Reactions: aussiedog3
That is called a direct connect and it is still to code if you have a block off plate and a positive connection to the flue but it is far from ideal. And why would you say 35' of flex would be hard to clean. It is much easier to clean than 35' of clay.
Not to mention having to pull the insert every time you sweep the old clay.
Not an option In would recommend.

Reactions: bholler
Screenshot_20160822-214709.png 20161201_095512.jpg 20170401_143932.jpg
Thanks so much guys for giving me a few options here.

1980's Quaker Moravian 303 (larger model) Rear flue 8", non-EPA, rebuilt & resealed.
I have been using another Moravian (top flue) in the garage...can't seem to get any work done because I just sit by the stove for hours, luv it!

Can I wrap the ovalized flex liner with insulation and chicken wire? Does this present any drop in install difficulty inside the 7x9 clay liner? What size ovalized, is still 8? I've measured for a 27-28 ft. liner from closure plate to chimney cap.

What else do I need to consider for the liner?

Last edited:
View attachment 215055 View attachment 215056 View attachment 215057

1980's Quaker Moravian 303 (larger model) Rear flue 8", non-EPA, rebuilt & resealed.
I have been using another Moravian (top flue) in the garage...can't seem to get any work done because I just sit by the stove for hours, luv it!

Can I wrap the ovalized flex liner with insulation and chicken wire? Does this present any drop in install difficulty inside the 7x9 clay liner? What size ovalized, is still 8? I've measured for a 27-28 ft. liner from closure plate to chimney cap.

You are probably finished by now, but if it's not too late, it looks like you need an eight inch flue to match up to your eight inch flue collar. If the chimney flue is really 7" x 9", you'll never get an 8" liner through, much less an insulated liner. Your chimney looks bigger than that in your photo but you'll need at least a 10" x 10" flue to get an insulated 8" liner down there. Personally, I wouldn't just put a liner in up to the first flue tile. Do you really want to pull that insert every time you sweep the chimney? Plus, it's extremely difficult to clean above the original damper and the chimney throat.

Last edited:
View attachment 215055 View attachment 215056 View attachment 215057

Call a supplier and ask the for an 8" equivalent oval. If it is to large for your flue with insulation I would down size to a 7" equivalent which will probably be an ovalized 8" to get the insulation.

Inside diameter of clay flue measures 7" x 11" exactly.

Which top brand manufacturers can I order from if I'm installing myself.
I couldn't get pricing from Olympia website. Champion offers pre-insulated, any others to compare? Sleepy Hollow Super-flex is local, heavy duty quality made 304 stainless.
304, 304L, 316T ...which to choose?
How do I know if I'm getting the good stuff?

Inside diameter of clay flue measures 7" x 11" exactly.

Which top brand manufacturers can I order from if I'm installing myself.
I couldn't get pricing from Olympia website. Champion offers pre-insulated, any others to compare? Sleepy Hollow Super-flex is local, heavy duty quality made 304 stainless.
304, 304L, 316T ...which to choose?
How do I know if I'm getting the good stuff?
You want heavy wall flex liner for that stove and 304 is fine for wood. You dont have to buy preinsulated you can wrap it yourself also. And fyi champion is olympia pipe that they relabel for sale to the public. Which is part of the reason they are so far behind we cant count on getting product from them.

A lift would certainly make it easier. My ladder dosen't make it to reach the cap. I can ladder to the roof, maybe another ladder from the steep roof to top cap. Safety harnesses & ropes for sure.

The liner in the link is actually quite heavy, and doesn't flex like others. The product picture is accurate. He does make a lighter version if needed.

Stacking four 48" sections of double wall pipe for the garage stove was easy compared to this chimney liner project. I did inquire about Furanflex (red), but I was told it's not certified here in NY for woodstoves.

A lift would certainly make it easier. My ladder dosen't make it to reach the cap. I can ladder to the roof, maybe another ladder from the steep roof to top cap. Safety harnesses & ropes for sure.

The liner in the link is actually quite heavy, and doesn't flex like others. The product picture is accurate. He does make a lighter version if needed.

Stacking four 48" sections of double wall pipe for the garage stove was easy compared to this chimney liner project. I did inquire about Furanflex (red), but I was told it's not certified here in NY for woodstoves.
You could not pay me enough to lean a ladder against that chimney and climb up it. And yes i know it is heavy. But it flexes fine.

You could not pay me enough to lean a ladder against that chimney and climb up it. And yes i know it is heavy. But it flexes fine.

Me either, no way no how. I do have a basic issue with long ladders anyway, to start with, but that is scary looking even with both feet on the ground. I would be using a lift all the way - and even then would be having the heebie jeebies the whole time.

It is me or is that leaning out quite a bit at the top? Looks like maybe some bracing or roof ties might be a consideration? (Non-pro perspective...)

That's why I've come here, to get the sound advice. You guys are the best.
When I climbed up to nearly the top to measure down, I thought...no way I'm going to be able to carry a heavy liner up here. I laughed when I watched YouTube videos of guys shoving in lightweight liners, one handed, like a styrofoam noodle.
20171114_092529.jpg

Yes, good eye ...the chimney isn't perfectly straight.

Ordering the liner today, and exploring Lift options as well.

Last edited:
Quakerfan, what liner and what size did you end up ordering? Is it pre-insulated? I have the same 7 x 11 clay tile liner but only a short 13 feet tall.

That's why I've come here, to get the sound advice. You guys are the best.
When I climbed up to nearly the top to measure down, I thought...no way I'm going to be able to carry a heavy liner up here. I laughed when I watched YouTube videos of guys shoving in lightweight liners, one handed, like a styrofoam noodle.View attachment 215823
Yes, good eye ...the chimney isn't perfectly straight.

Ordering the liner today, and exploring Lift options as well.
When I rented the lift, it added $400 to the cost. Maybe I could have done it with scaffolding and some rough temporary framing, if I'd more time and experience and courage. In the end, it was just time to bite the bullet and get the lift. Yours is way more challenging than mine. I recommend the lift.

Ordered Bellfires liner today, 26feet heavy 304L Ovalized 8". He maximizes the shape to what he said would fit 6 3/4" x 10 3/4" (7x11clay), no insulation for clay liner portion. Insulation wrap was recommended for lower section leading up to clay tile (estimated 5-6ft). Bought the entire kit from him, each component was good quality gauge thick. Ovalized top cap with added wind band is being made.

He suggested the clay liner does have insulating value, regardless 8" oval insulation wrapped wouldn't fit 7x11.

Rather than narrow to 7" liner, break out clay, or swap for 6" outlet stove... I guess this was the best way to make it fit and keep this particular stove.

Lift ...costing $350 for the day, shopping around for half-day rate now.

Ordered Bellfires liner today, 26feet heavy 304L Ovalized 8". He maximizes the shape to what he said would fit 6 3/4" x 10 3/4" (7x11clay), no insulation for clay liner portion. Insulation wrap was recommended for lower section leading up to clay tile (estimated 5-6ft). Bought the entire kit from him, each component was good quality gauge thick. Ovalized top cap with added wind band is being made.

He suggested the clay liner does have insulating value, regardless 8" oval insulation wrapped wouldn't fit 7x11.

Rather than narrow to 7" liner, break out clay, or swap for 6" outlet stove... I guess this was the best way to make it fit and keep this particular stove.

Lift ...costing $350 for the day, shopping around for half-day rate now.
Yeah he is completly wrong the clay has no insulating value at all. And has no effect on insulation requirements. Do you have the required clearances to combustibles from the outside of the masonry?

I thought so too. Referenced chart to determine if I could still insulate. Original 8" ovalized to 5.5 x 9.5 may allow for .5" insulation wrap. I'd prefer fully insulated liner if possible.
oval-size-chart.gif

Clearances are good, if the oak mantle gets too warm I'll replace with granite. Prior temp testing done with the garage stove when I planned hearth.
20161024_114642.jpg

Outline was for 72" x 40" black granite hearth. Stove fits 1/3 inside opening , 2/3 remains out onto pad.

Last edited:
I thought so too. Referenced chart to determine if I could still insulate. Original 8" ovalized to 5.5 x 9.5 may allow for .5" insulation wrap. I'd prefer fully insulated liner if possible. View attachment 215867
Clearances are good, if the oak mantle gets too warm I'll replace with granite. Prior temp testing done with the garage stove when I planned hearth.View attachment 215868
So there is no combustible material within 2" of the outside of the masonry structure of the chimney?

Where exactly can inspect for this?

I'm assuming anything combustible between the house & chimney, at each floor level and roofline, before the chimney becomes standalone.
The exterior of my house is original thick stucco 1930, let me check attic lower corner.

Where exactly can inspect for this?

I'm assuming anything combustible between the house & chimney, at each floor level and roofline, before the chimney becomes standalone.
The exterior of my house is original thick stucco 1930, let me check attic lower corner.
Anywhere you can get access. I can already tell you the chances that you have proper clearances are slim to none.