Need to buy a new stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1willie1

Jan 24, 2011
Kentucky
We currently have a small US Stove Company stove. It does fine for the TV room in the basement but I wood to get one big enough for the whole house. Our house is around 1800-2000 sq feet. Iam going to install vents that will allow warm air to get to the ground floor. I really would like some opinions on stoves. I thought about the US Stove Company 2000 pedastal stove. Any advice would be great.

Be careful if you are planning on cutting floor vents, generally these are not in line with building codes and are considered a fire safety issue since they will allow smoke and fire easy access to the rest of your house. Basement installs can be tricky and often it is difficult to get enough heat to the upper floors without making the basement hot as hades. What is your homes layout like? Is it a split level? Or is there just a regular stairwell between the basement and first floor? The layout of the house has more to do with how effective a basement install is than just having a big enough stove. Also if your house has less than ideal insulation and older windows then you may be frustrated trying to heat the whole house from the basement, as you won't be able to hold on to the heat well enough to keep the house at a good temp.

check out the us stove co model 1400 or 1500 add on wood furnaces. That may fit your plan better unless of course you have a boiler and not a forced air gas furnace with ductwork or an available empty chimney flue.

I assume the model 1400 ties directly into my current air ducts? I don't know how much work that would involve because our basement is finished. As far as the floor plan, there is a stairwell to the upstairs and one leading outside. The house is 10 years old and is insulated pretty well. If it's not possible to heat the whole house maybe it would least shrink the size of the check to the electric company each month.

i don't know anything about the US stove company but maybe a jotul castine.

Status
Not open for further replies.