Need to clean but wife got it going

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Feeling the Heat
Feb 29, 2008
Bell bell Pa.
I wanted to clean the liner today since its going to be in the 60s This morning the wife got the insert gooing to get the chile out of the house which is great but she didnt no I was going to clean the liner. So my Q is how cool does the liner have to be. Can I clean the liner at a safe temp or do I have to let it cool down to zero degrees to get the proper clean.
Will the creasote be gewy if it is warm? Or does it have to be cold
Thanks
Burd

Burd, I can't say for sure about a liner as I've never cleaned one. I can tell you that we usually clean out chimney when the stove is down to coals. However, we have also cleaned it even with smoke going up! Never had a problem with it. btw, our chimney is outside SS.

Savage thanks for the info my chimeny is on the outside and have no probem getting to the top and running a brush.My thing is I have to take out the baffles to see the liner and to let the ash or creasote falll through. After writing the post I started thinking of letting it go out to see how much creasote I have.I havent clean the liner since I installed it last feb. Im hoping that I dont have a lot but it allso has been a long time since I cleaned it. Ive been burning pretty hot and the liner inst that long 23'
Anyway Im going to do it right clean it all out hot ash and all
Maybe Ill post somthing later
Thanks again
Burd

I did the same thing yesterday. I was planning all week to clean the liners yesterday and for the life of me don't know why I staggered down the stairs at seven o'clock and tossed three splits on the coals. :red: Getting old was a lot of fun but being old sucks!

Anyway, I just let'em burn and when they were mostly coals I opened the stove door a crack and the coals burned down quickly. The added benefit of the cracked open door was that the draft cooled the stove and chimney down in no time at all and I was able to get on with the job.

Burd, whatever you do, make damn sure you don't scold her, or it'll be the last time she ever builds a fire. :lol: Rick

If you're using a plastic brush, make sure the chimney is cool enough not to melt it.

I don't really like cleaning them when there's a draft going, because the creosote blows up and gets all over me.

karl said:
If you're using a plastic brush, make sure the chimney is cool enough not to melt it.

I don't really like cleaning them when there's a draft going, because the creosote blows up and gets all over me.

When I cleaned my Class A the other day, little tiny brown flakes were floating up out of the pipe. It looked like some sort of special effects from one of the Narnia movies, or something! Irritating, though.

Pagey said:
karl said:

When I cleaned my Class A the other day, little tiny brown flakes were floating up out of the pipe. It looked like some sort of special effects from one of the Narnia movies, or something! Irritating, though.

Wear those dust masks folks!

The other day I built a small fire in the morning to get a little heat into the room. The fire was out by 9:00am so I just opened the flue damper all the way, opened my air, and cracked the door just a little bit. By noon the coals where cool enough to remove and put in my ash can. I then just opened the door all the way for about 1 hour and then I started to clean the liner. Every thing was cool enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.