Needle wedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
If you split by hand, you need a needle wedge. I have not found anything (shagbark hickory included) that I cannot split with mine.

needle-wedge-500x500.png

Sorry, picture did not upload. Thank you Jan. That picture is a little squeezed so they are just longer then that picture shows. I bought it on a whim and I am very glad I did. I have been recommending to everyone I know that burns wood.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I’ve tried these, but with basically no positive results. At a certain point they seem to either simply stop driving no matter how hard I can hit it, or they pop out straight up into the air. Maybe I need lessons. Or maybe the rounds I’ve tried them on are too big? I’ve always had to resort to standard wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had to really beat on it a few times when splitting some of the bigger shag bark (20"x20-24" rounds), mostly if there was a knot in it. Other then that, I really have been ok with not owning a machine splitter because of this wedge.

I’ve tried these, but with basically no positive results. At a certain point they seem to either simply stop driving no matter how hard I can hit it, or they pop out straight up into the air. Maybe I need lessons. Or maybe the rounds I’ve tried them on are too big? I’ve always had to resort to standard wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same results here...its collecting rust.

Reactions: saewoody
Same results here...its collecting rust.

I have also had the stated results (wedge will pop out and not seem to go in any farther no matter how much force applied). I wonder, are there different sizes? The one at the top of the picture looks smaller.

Reactions: saewoody