Neighbor feeling the chill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course anyone can do it....but shouldn't. There is still lots of media printed that is wrong. Those who print manuals get their information from old media. Just think about all the bad information about burning pine. Heck, we even had a well-known newspaper reporting on the amount of fall colors in various parts of the state. They listed, among others, maple, oak and pine. Right, the leaves on the pine are turning fast!

It does specifically say you can remove one day of creosote buildup with a hot fire, and says never do this with more than one day of buildup.

I'm sure plenty of people used to have a regular chimney fire to keep the chimney clear, but then I can remember my Grandad sticking his shotgun up the chimney of the old farmhouse and letting it have both barrels.

Grandma was not impressed by the soot......... ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
Of course anyone can do it....but shouldn't. There is still lots of media printed that is wrong. Those who print manuals get their information from old media. Just think about all the bad information about burning pine. Heck, we even had a well-known newspaper reporting on the amount of fall colors in various parts of the state. They listed, among others, maple, oak and pine. Right, the leaves on the pine are turning fast!
The leaves (needles) on all my pine are turning brown and falling off!
So they do turn colors :p
Just like normal trees ;)

woodchip said:
It does specifically say you can remove one day of creosote buildup with a hot fire, and says never do this with more than one day of buildup.

I'm sure plenty of people used to have a regular chimney fire to keep the chimney clear, but then I can remember my Grandad sticking his shotgun up the chimney of the old farmhouse and letting it have both barrels.

Grandma was not impressed by the soot......... ;-)

LOL! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.