Neophyte needs suggestions for empty gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nautigirl

Feb 8, 2019
Park City, UT
FP02.JPG FP01.JPG
Thank you all for taking your time and lending your experience. I bought a home with gas run to the vacant fireplace. It is a rental unit in the house. When I light the gas under the fake wood, it smells like gas as it should . I guess because no proper vent and open to the room is the problem. It measures 64 high 34 wide and 24 deep. I don't want to spend the money on a stove. Can I install a vent hood and make it work ok and what type? I'll listen to all suggestions.

cheers, crash

Last edited by a moderator:
The chimney needs to be unplugged to start with.

View attachment 240437 View attachment 240438
Thank you all for taking your time and lending your experience. I bought a home with gas run to the vacant fireplace. It is a rental unit in the house. When I light the gas under the fake wood, it smells like gas as it should . I guess because no proper vent and open to the room is the problem. It measures 64 high 34 wide and 24 deep. I don't want to spend the money on a stove. Can I install a vent hood and make it work ok and what type? I'll listen to all suggestions.

cheers, crash
Can you post a pic like the 2nd one but with that screen removed

View attachment 240437 View attachment 240438

cheers, crash
I just increased your budget for you.
CutPaste_2019-02-08_21-12-18-136.jpg

Am I reading that there is already a ventfree set up in the fireplace or are you looking for gas insert options to fill the space?

What is the state of the chimney itself?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk